I do brush my hair with a Denman brush when there is a lot of conditioner in it. Once her styling products are in and unless you are styling her hair into a smooth bun or into a braid then dry with the curls like us cloth and don't brush anymore.

Unfortunately this is a trial and error process so there are no stupid questions. Don't get hung up on the curl types. They aren't important. Hair properties such as fine/medium/coarse texture and porosity are more important. What would probably work is to conditioner wash with one of the suave naturals conditioner (use it like a shampoo) and then follow up with tresseme naturals moisturizing conditioner. Comb it through with a wide tooth comb and then follow with your brush. You can also add a little olive oil to her hair. Let this sit for at least 5 minutes and then rinse most of it out. Leave just a little bit in or add a dime size to het ends and a litlle on the canopy. Add gel, a quarter size. Smooth it in with your hands. You may need to twirl some of the ringlets around your fingers to define. Dry, style in a braid or let it dry down. It may take two weeks for you to start seeing a difference. She may need a little protein in her hair. Not sure if the Infusium has that or is Curly Girl.

As for the book, she would probably benefit from the corkicelli or corkscrew or fractal routines.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using CurlTalk App
3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed