I know some have said well (most) oils are a sealer so they help keep water in the hair shaft... but then, if i add oil or an emollient-rich product to my dry hair, that will still moisturize it, and there's no water so to speak to "seal in."
Originally Posted by wavydaze
Moisture = water, that cannot be up for debate even if everything else can. Most oils or butters used alone do not moisturise the hair, that is an incorrect use of the word, they do not increase or add to the water content of the hair (hydration).

Your hair might feel silkier, softer or more elastic, you might correctly describe the result as emollient or at a push even conditioning. Moisturising and conditioning are not one and the same, tho there is overlap. By contrast it might be correct to say an emollient rich product has moisturised your hair if it is increasing hydration.
Originally Posted by Firefox7275
Okay, so moisturize with water and condition with oils/butters. I can understand that easily. But if the effect is the same, silkier, softer, more elastic or simply not dry hair, what does it matter? I guess it's always good to be more specific. Or does it matter because for some folks moisturizing works but conditioning doesn't or the other way around? Like some people need more humectants and others more emolients? Or most people need both?
2BC/f/II. fine - low/normal porosity - medium density - normal elasticity.

Currently using:
Low-poo: Jason Mango bodywash
Cowash: Cure Care diluted with water 1:1
RO: Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime
Styler: UFD CM (old formula), FSG + CNPF
PT: IAgirl's gelatine

light moisture, hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646