View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #17
Korkscrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby View Post
As an Italian that is first generation American, we think nothing of using the term "Dago." It's "***" that is the more offensive term because it stands for Without Papers. Relevant to racism, things are definitely better than they were before the Civil Rights movement but unfortunately I do not see it going away. What does, however, irk me about some black people is that they want it both ways. It's OK for them to call any non-black on the carpet for using an AA slur but it's OK for them to use it. My philosophy has always been this: "If you want to chastise me for using a slur to the black race, that's fine. Well and good. Just remember, I'm holding you to the same standard if you use a white slur." I've always believed that racism knows no color. It's wrong no matter where it comes from. Then again, we will probably all be the same color some day and it's coming sooner than we think.
Hey Bobby I believe you know more about your own Italian experience than I do. At the same time, this is tricky because I have had scads of Italian friends and classmates who became upset when hearing Italian racial slurs. Maybe there's some attitudinal variation based on region? As for the term "Dago", I have a feeling a few Italians practice the same double-standard that bothers you about some black ppl: using the term on themselves but getting upset when "non-members" use that derogatory term.

I totally agree that racist speech is racist speech, regardless of the source. ... As for the prospect of racism disappearing one day, do you recall Dr. Suess's story about the "Star-bellied Sneetches"? (Or other parables, like "Animal Farm" by Aldous Huxley.) Nevertheless, the jury is still out, for me anyway, because I still want to be guardedly optimism.
Korkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote