I'm only on Day 10 of CG but I've learned a few important things that I REALLY need to stick to. Any other tips and advice are appreciated!!
Things I've Learned...
Some New Rules for Myself...
- Too much manipulation (touching, scrunching, blotting, etc.) causes my waves to break up and frizz.
- Upside down rinsing is a no go and leads to seriously wonky roots.
- Upside down styling is okay as long as I "leave my roots in their place" and add product to the back of my head when I put my head upright.
- Adding product when my hair is dry or trying to fix or perfect pieces only makes it worse. I REALLY NEED TO LISTEN TO THIS ONE.
- Flour sack towels work best for plopping.
- Plopping for 15-30 minutes (depending on how much water is left in my hair) is best.
- Often only my canopy is messy/frizzy. The rest of my hair is fine so I don't need to throw it in a bun. Pinning just the messy part works great.
Some Things I Really Need to Figure Out... HELP please!!
- I will limit the products I use and focus on experimenting with texhniques. I hope this will give me a sort of "baseline" of my hair.
- I will only style my hair once while wet and not mess with it after that. It never helps.
- I will settle for "pretty good" and stop trying to perfect and fix. It never ever ever helps.
- I will only resort to a messy bun if it is REALLY bad.
- I will only re wash and style if it is so bad that it can't even look presentable in an updo, I have a reaction, etc. If I continue redoing every time my hair is less than perfect it is going to get seriously dried out.
- Parting- If I part I get flat roots and less wave. If I don't I get a wonky part and waves that lay funny.
- Scrunching vs. Raking- I can't figure out which works for me. If I rake I get MUCH better product distribution and frizz control but get looser waves. If I scrunch I get awesome volume and curl but more frizz and areas that don't get any product. Even if I scrunch after raking I still get flat roots.
- Co washing- I can't figure out if my hair is adjusting or if it's weighing me down. I don't think I'm overconditioned because my hair is porous and damaged.
- Second day hair- This phenomena has yet to occur for me.