View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 04:30 AM   #46
naturaldoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by noritaarf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturaldoll View Post
To me it's because there still isn't a level playing field. Take miss black America. Do you know how hard it is to be black in those pageants? Black women rarely make the top 20. The whole contest is sorta rigged against you as you're being judged on western beauty standards opposite of features you actually have. So it makes sense to want to even things by separating. I mean a 8 year old wouldn't compete with a 20 year old.
copied from Wikipedia (The foremost authority on all things "
"since the crowning of Vanessa Williams in 1984, 28% of Miss America pageant winners have been black[2] while only about 14% of the general populace is black, so the question arises as to how they can be considered still underrepresented, given those numbers." So it appears black women are actually gaining a foot hold, at least in the Miss America pageant.
It's still a uphill battle. And I stand ny what I said, I watch the pageants. Usually if that year there are a lot of black contestants there will be a black winner. But most years there aren't a lot, and the few there don't get far. Did you this year's u.s.a pageant? Only one contestant of color and it isn't even clear what color she was. With the Wikipedia article, I don't know if that's true but Wikipedia isn't the best source, as it can be edited by anyone. But even if it is correct, our dempgraphics don't change year to year, why do the Pageants? To me things will look more fair when the pageants reflect reality, 14% of the top 15 (the girls with a real shot) black every year consistently. And not as tokenism, for the judges to actually independently choose 14% every single year, no more all white years. To me this sounds like the "why is there no white history month? " question. Because every month is white history month! In the pageant system damn near every pageant every year is the miss white America pageant. So rather than accept being tossed a bone once every few years, we started our own where we compete fairly.

Sent from my LS670 using CurlTalk App
Curl Type: 4a/3c
Texture: Coarse
Density: Thick
Length:shoulder

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
naturaldoll is offline   Reply With Quote