I'm fairly new to CG myself, and have had similar issues regarding raking and scrunching. I'm finding that raking, then smoothing the individual curls a bit, then scrunching with a flour sack towel (lift the section with the towel in both hands, squeeze and hold for a few seconds, then gently release and lower) and plopping for about 10 minutes is working pretty well. Then I pixiecurl diffuse until my hair's about 50% dry. I always have frizz, but much less this way. For second day hair, I wet my hands and run them over my hair, then rub a few drops of camellia oil (it's very light) in my palms and run that over, then scrunch lightly. I haven't been successful using any other products on second day, and if I try to spray anything in, I get a lot of frizz. I'm on third day hair today and it actually looks OK in a messy sort of way, but I hauled a bunch of dirt in the yard yesterday and it's drizzling today, so all things considered it's not bad.
3a/b, F, normal porosity

Wash with either Suave Tropical Coconut, As I Am, or CJ Daily Fix
Condition with STC or Yes to Blueberries and detangle with Denman, rinse very lightly (baptismal rinse)
Add LAL gel, either Sport or Wet Look, scrunch with flour sack towel, and plop
Diffuse 5 minutes, then air dry