Kathy – Thanks for the helpful link! I didn’t think about my hair being porous from the coloring because I thought it was only bleach/lightening that damages the hair, not dye/darkening.

Firefox – I think diet and lifestyle could definitely be contributing to it, that’s why I plan on getting the blood test done this week. I don’t eat a lot of meat or protein and hair is dead protein so that could be contributing to it. The flat iron they used on me at the salon prior to January was very hot, Idk the exact temperature. But it would make my cheeks feel hot, that’s how hot it was. I haven’t got that done in 6 months though. My current flat iron that is terrible does not get very hot or straighten well for that matter. The new flat iron I am getting has an adjustable temperature and goes to 400 something. But I’m not using that high a temperature on my hair. I checked out your link which was very helpful so thank you and I will not turn it up higher than 300. But I don’t plan on straightening at all until my hair gets healthy. Also, I never straighten it when it’s wet.

I did not realize that most semi-permanents are PPD free. Is there a good brand you would suggest that won’t dry it out more? I had the Redken put on it about 5-6 times every few months. My hair stylist told me it was semi, not demi so I didn’t even realize until recently. Is the dye what’s damaging my hair now? The last time I had it put on was December. I would think it wouldn’t still be damaged from that, especially not new growth. Is there anywhere I can find the ingredients to this dye? I’ve searched and can’t find it anywhere.

I did not realize that silicones weren’t actually making the hair healthy but disguising the damage. That’s not helping the problem…ugh I don’t know what to use

I really appreciate your thoughts and you trying to get me to embrace my natural hair. However, I have hated my hair since I’ve been in fifth grade. I don’t see myself embracing it anytime in the near future and maybe not ever. I have been through a lot in the last few years, and I plan on a new start/a new look with includes straight hair. And from my experience, flat ironing hasn’t done anywhere close to the damage that bleaching/coloring did. This girl has naturally curly hair and straightens it frequently, her hair is VERY healthy. The flat iron she’s using is the one I plan on using once I get my hair healthy. I realize that most people on this site embrace their curly hair but I don’t. But my natural hair is still curly and needs to be treated gently so I came here for advice with getting it healthy again.

How to Straighten Curly Hair & Maintain It - YouTube

I’m not that familiar with conditioning washing. Do you use just any conditioner? Wouldn’t the hair be greasy and dirty from no shampooing? I only shampoo twice a week right now but I never condition at all. I just use all these silicone products that I thought were helping. Should I condition every day and stick with shampooing twice a week and see how that works?
I do sleep on a satin pillowcase and the hat I bought says “block out the sun” on it so I would think it works. Is it bad to use a comb when the hair is wet? That’s what I do when I get out of the shower. I comb it out and use detangler. I only thought it was bad to use a brush.
Originally Posted by BlondeBeauty
I can't make you love your hair, but honestly don't set yourself apart from us - many many of us spent years hating or at least disliking and trying to ignore our hair or trying to iron or relax it into submission. I wore a ponytail 24/7 for years and years!! Plenty of people here straighten some of the time at least, but try to limit flat ironing. There are heat free methods like wet wrapping, you might find a well done keratin treatment is healthier than frequent flat ironing when you have grown out the damage.

Unless you can see someone's hair without all the silicones and under the microscope you have no idea what condition it is in. Much of the damage done by flat irons is to the core structure of the hair, the high heat can literally melt certain silicones onto the hair forming a plastic coating, The seductive thing about flat ironing moderately damaged hair is that it makes the cuticle lie flat, so hair can easily look healthier when it has been ironed. I think it's also highly relevant that the YouTuber wears her hair curly often for videos, which 'rests' her hair. Obviously we don't know what she does with her hair when not making videos.

The thing I learned when researching damage is that it is cumulative, so heat styled hair is more vulnerable to peroxide damage, and colour treated hair is more vulnerable to heat styling and so on. My damage was colour and mechanical, I am not prepared to quit the colour so in some ways similar to you. What I did do was thoroughly research exactly what colour does to my hair at a structural level, so I am doing it with eyes WIDE open.

What I ended up doing was changing the way I approached my colour, I use a totally different much less damaging method now. I didn't choose to go wavy/ curly, I was shocked and forced into it by realising just how many broken hairs I had around my face and at the back of the head. Even then I didn't see the full picture, two years on I still have random short tufts at the back which I strongly suspect was mini clumps I'd pulled out at the roots with rough treatment. And I didn't even have good hair whilst I was doing it, doh!

Hat and pillowcase sounds great, you are one step ahead of many curlies there!! Combing when wet stretches the hair, how much damage that does depends on technique and product. Be sure you are using a very wide tooth seamless comb, be really gentle don't pull at all, work on wet conditioned not damp hair, if the comb doesn't slip through your hair like a knife through butter on a summer's day you should stop.

I know it sounds nuts but the right conditioner is an effective cleanser, think of WEN or L'Oreal and Pantene making cleansing conditioners. This is because there are cationic surfactants and fatty alcohols in a conditioner. These are emulsifiers which means they can mix oil (sebum) with water. The cleansers in shampoo are usually anionic surfactants so they are a more powerful 'relative' to one of the key cleansing ingredients in conditioner.

A lightweight conditioner (not too many oils, no silicones) can cleanse really greasy hair after you have been sick in bed for a week, even remove a heavy coconut oiling. Technique and amount of product is important, there are videos on YouTube. Conditioner washing cannot remove build up of many silicones, certain butters or polyquats so it's important that your other products are compatible OR that you carry on using a gentle shampoo every week or fortnight.

Lifestyle healthcare is what I do for a living - if you are not getting enough protein there is one change you can make: start eating oily fish (salmon, trout, mackerel, sardines, herring, anchovies, fresh tuna counts but not canned). This supplies protein, but also omega-3 essentlal fatty acids, vitamin D, haem iron and a raft of other vitamins and minerals. Oily fish is massively more nutritious than any land animal meat and is the only realistic source of long chain omega-3s. You don't need large servings of protein - actually the body cannot process and utilise that - your body needs it little and often beginning with breakfast.

HTH!
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Boots Essentials gel
Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
Experimenting with: benign neglect

Last edited by Firefox7275; 06-26-2013 at 07:53 PM.