Hey there, fellow curly girls. So... I'm half Puerto Rican and I got it pretty bad hair-wise. When my curls were first growing as a child, my mum had an easier time doing my hair. As I got older - and I'm sure this is a familiar story to many of you - she had to rake a brush through my hair just to get something done.

Well, now I'll be 21 in about a week, and I still haven't managed to figure out how to, well... manage it.

I had my mum's help brushing out my hair tonight as it was crazy tangled and matted, and this is what it came out like:

I need to know how to tame the wild beast! I have a wedding to go to this weekend, and I don't think I can whip it into shape before then so I may just end up straightening it (which I do a lot and it's a pain because it takes around three hours to get it looking even decent, and I'd love not to spend so much time doing it anymore). However, I do have another wedding at the end of August, and I'd like to be able to wear my hair down and in its natural state then... if I can figure out how to control it.

When I shower, my hair comes out looking like this:

Yet as it starts to dry, it grows bigger and bigger until I resemble a cross between Chewbacca and a poodle.

I'd love to get it looking like Rachel True's in thisphoto, however:

But I just don't know how to do it! Even straightening it leaves me me with a thick pile of un-shiny, frizzy looking hair. I just need some tricks and tips and maybe product suggestions so I can get it looking more like that last photo, so I could wear it down more often. I get frequent compliments about my curls, but I'd like to feel like I deserve them!

Last edited by sourwolf; 06-26-2013 at 09:45 PM.