View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #7
Chloe_s_Mom

Default I think that I've accepted my hair since birth

I think that I accepted my fuzzy hair since birth bec it didn't start out super curly - it would go through periods of less curl, esp in the winter (and under hats). I had pretty crazy, fuzzy hair at times, but my mum kept it very short, so it never really got in the way, caused me pain (knots). I remember early on disliking hair salons - they'd do crazy things with my hair and apply product.

I was a teen in the late 1980s, and big hair was the rage. I fit right in! I never got the hang of hair dryers or curling irons. I did fight my bangs for years until, after one chemical straightening session, a portion of my bangs broke off at the root.....

I soon realized just how easy curly hair is - I'd 'wash' and go (which really was condition and go). I'd arrive at university classes with wet hair, same with work. I loved that my hair would essentially look the same whether it rained outside, snowed, or was sunny. Windy car rides were a problem though.....would blow the curl almost out of my hair (well, my version of straight hair)!

Once I learned to avoid bangs, and to condition daily, I found out that I was actually lucky to have curly hair!

I do find it a challenge, still, to have fun and funky styles. I enjoyed wearing a piece-y pixie for about 3 years, but am finding the growing out part to be a challenge as my head seems to get rounder and rounder as the curls don't have enough weight yet.

I remember, when my eldest daughter (gorgeous, thick, wavy hair) was about 4 years old, hearing her scream in the bathroom upstairs. I ran up to see her standing on a bench, in front of a mirror, screaming in anger at her hair, saying: Mean hair! Mean hair! she was trying to brush it dead straight....sigh....glad that she isn't a curly head as I'm not sure whether she'd ever embrace the curls!! (that being said, she is finally LOVING her hair since I started a modified CG method with her - sulphate free shampooing weekly, conditioning whenever it is wet).
Chloe_s_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote