I think your hair can definitely benefit from the CG method. I would recommend getting the book (Curly Girl: The Handbook: Michele Bender, Lorraine Massey, Deborah Chiel: 9780761156789: Amazon.com: Books) as a starter. It explains conditioner washing and why you shouldn't use sulfates (and therefore silicones) on your hair. You'll have a transition period but the less heat you use on your hair the better. It will get more shiny naturally once it's healthier. If you have a lot of heat damage you may just need to grow it out, however you can definitely help to get the hair that you have now in better condition.

Curly Hair Basics | Live Curly Live Free This is a really good read for basic hair care and how to figure out your hair properties. Knowing your properties will be crucial in starting to figure out which products to use. One way is to start looking around the board for members with similar properties and see what they're using. Remember that hair width and porosity for instance will matter more than curl pattern when choosing products.

I agree as well that your hair could probably use some heavier products due to its volume and thickness. Whether or not you can use products with protein will depend on whether your hair is fine or coarse. Coarse-haired curlies often have issues with protein... fine hair tends to love protein.
fine - normal porosity*?- medium density - normal elasticity. Hard water. SoCal.
*Used to be low-porosity, but I lightened my hair 1-2 shades, so I may be normal-porosity now.

New climate! Current favorites:
Low-poo: CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo, Giovanni SaS
RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
Styler: UFD CM (old formula), FSG + CNPF
PT: CJ Repair Me, IAgirl's gelatine

Experimenting with: JC Confident Coils, JC Rockin Ringlets, CJ CIAB, gelatin gel

iherb discount code: CFN646