View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #15
wavydaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourwolf View Post
I'm sorry, my attempt was not to be vague or dismissive or to make excuses; this is just the reality I've known because I've never taken care of my hair in any kind of way like this since 99% of the tips I've always gotten are from stylists who don't know how to do my hair in the first place.

The shampoo I'm currently using is Suave Professionals Keratin Infusion Color Care Shampoo. Same brand of conditioner. I'm currently at home for the summer, so I don't often straighten my hair (even at school I found I didn't most often, I would just put my hair up and throw my baseball cap on). I'm finding that I straighten only for special events, like the weddings I have to go to this summer I mentioned in my first post.

I don't use anything else in my hair. I do have that Garnier leave in conditioner I also mentioned, but I find that makes my hair feel gross and sticky, so I've stopped using it.

As for straighteners, I have the InStyler and an older Straightener I've had for about six years, which, since my brother's girlfriend gave me her InStyler, I've stopped using almost completely.

That's literally all I use for my hair in terms of regular routine. The dye brands I use vary from dye job to dye job, but the colour is usually a burgundy.

Outside of straightening, I don't style my hair when it's curly. Because it becomes so frizzy when it dries, I feel like I look awful if I leave it down, so, like I said, I just throw it up in a bun or do some braids, etc.

I didn't think you were being dismissive! I got that you were trying to say that you don't have a "fancy" or a very deliberate routine!

Okay, I think all the Suave Professionals stuff have cones in them so you're best to ditch them BUT you'll need to do one last wash to get rid of the silicones with a shampoo that doesn't have silicones. So not the Suave shampoo, because that will add more silicones while breaking down others.

You can use a clarifying low-poo like Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat. I'm sure there are others I just don't know. You need a silicone-free low poo that has coco betaine or cocamidopropyl betaine in it to break down the cones. A cone-free sulfate shampoo will work too. And that's the last time you'll ever need to use sulfates!

If you want to go to low-poo route there's many that are popular: SheaMoisture, Yes to Cucumbers, Curl Junkie Gentle Cleansing etc. If you want to cowash, try the Suave Naturals or Tresemme Naturals conditioners. Or V05. Just double check whatever light conditioner you use to cowash has no silicones in it (ending in -xane, -cone, -conol). PEG in front means water soluble, which should be okay but some curlies avoid these as well.

I second getting a really moisturizing conditioner like GVP Conditioning Balm (knock off Matrix Biolage Conditioning balm). Your hair will most likely highly benefit from a leave-in conditioner as well. This can be the same as your rinse-out conditioner. The only thing I would suggest is avoid glycerin in leave-in and styling products if you live in an area with high dews. (You can check the dews on NaturallyCurly's Frizz Forecast)

Weekly deep treatments will be a savior especially in the beginning. I use extra virgin coconut oil on my hair. Now since my hair is very moisturized and in good condition (and the dews are high), I've been using protein treatments more frequently. I use IAgirl's gelatin recipe for PT and this has really improved my hair. How much protein you need will depend on your specific hair properties.

Definitely figure out your hair properties! If you have trouble you can also get a hair analysis from Live Curly Live Free or Komaza Care! That will be so helpful in the beginning as you start to make changes and choose different products!

New climate! Current favorites:
Low-poo: CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo, Giovanni SaS
RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
Styler: UFD CM (old formula), FSG + CNPF
PT: CJ Repair Me, IAgirl's gelatine

Experimenting with: JC Confident Coils, JC Rockin Ringlets, CJ CIAB, gelatin gel

iherb discount code: CFN646
wavydaze is offline   Reply With Quote