View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #16
Firefox7275

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourwolf View Post
I'm sorry, my attempt was not to be vague or dismissive or to make excuses; this is just the reality I've known because I've never taken care of my hair in any kind of way like this since 99% of the tips I've always gotten are from stylists who don't know how to do my hair in the first place.

The shampoo I'm currently using is Suave Professionals Keratin Infusion Color Care Shampoo. Same brand of conditioner. I'm currently at home for the summer, so I don't often straighten my hair (even at school I found I didn't most often, I would just put my hair up and throw my baseball cap on). I'm finding that I straighten only for special events, like the weddings I have to go to this summer I mentioned in my first post.

I don't use anything else in my hair. I do have that Garnier leave in conditioner I also mentioned, but I find that makes my hair feel gross and sticky, so I've stopped using it.

As for straighteners, I have the InStyler and an older Straightener I've had for about six years, which, since my brother's girlfriend gave me her InStyler, I've stopped using almost completely.

That's literally all I use for my hair in terms of regular routine. The dye brands I use vary from dye job to dye job, but the colour is usually a burgundy.

Outside of straightening, I don't style my hair when it's curly. Because it becomes so frizzy when it dries, I feel like I look awful if I leave it down, so, like I said, I just throw it up in a bun or do some braids, etc.
Sorry to seem harsh but you do have a routine unless you never touch your hair and let it dreadlock. You don't use any heat protectant? Do you towel turban or towel dry your hair, do you air dry? How often is 'not often' for flat ironing, we don't know how many events you attend a year? What temperature is your Instyler at? When you dye are you doing roots only or 'refreshing the lengths? What are you using to secure your buns?
THE NATURAL HAVEN: Straightening Facts :How hot is too hot?
http://www.hairfree.bz/Article.pdf

From what you say you likely have porous damaged hair, you don't need to spend money on a hair analysis at this stage. You need more than just 'moisture'/ conditioning, beneficial ingredients to use thereafter on porous or colour treated hair include coconut oil, hydrolysed protein, ceramides and panthenol. These patch damage on the hair's protective cuticle and can penetrate so increase elasticity and strength from the inside.
THE NATURAL HAVEN: Ceramides: Patching up Damaged Hair
THE NATURAL HAVEN: Size matters : Protein Conditioning (part 1 of 2)
Mineral Oil Versus Coconut Oil: Which is better?

Conditioner only wash if you can, if not choose a sulphate free shampoo that is pH 4.5 to 5.5 (acidic) which is the gentlest on both skin and hair. The Komaza Care and As I Am lines have products in this range, you can also purchase shampoo and conditioner 'bases' online (intended to have oils or fragrances added) some of which are in this pH range. Doing this means every product will work for you, shampoos don't ever truly moisturise or condition that is marketing, but you can choose ones that cause the least damage/ stripping which means no sulphate surfactants and a low pH.
THE NATURAL HAVEN: pH of Shampoo : The Ultimate List!
THE NATURAL HAVEN: pH of Conditioners
THE NATURAL HAVEN: pH of Leave In Conditioners and Styling Aids

Most creamy wash out conditioners, even the super cheap ones suitable for co-washing, are acidic so you don't need to cleanse with anything pricey if you are on a budget. Personally I spend the most money on my leave in conditioners because the ingredients are in contact with my hair longest and a bottle does last a good while!

CO-wash: Inecto coconut
Treatments: Komaza Matani, coconut oil, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss ultimate volume, Inecto argan
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Boots Essentials gel
Experimenting with: going back to basics

Last edited by Firefox7275; 06-27-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Firefox7275 is offline   Reply With Quote