It's all right, I've just never really been asked these kinds of questions before, which I guess doesn't say much about stylists I've had in the past since nobody has ever bothered to ask about what I use. I generally go to the stylist for trims only; the last time I think I had a stylist actually do a style for me other than straightening was my high school senior prom three years ago.

To answer your questions, I actually haven't used heat protectant before. I towel turban my hair right when I get out of the shower for a few minutes while I'm getting dressed and then I usually let it air dry past that, or sometimes I put it up when it's still wet, using hairbands to secure buns. My InStyler is usually at the highest temperature. As far as dye goes, I generally don't do touch ups so when my hair starts to really look it's natural colour again is when I redye, depending on whether I can afford it or not.

I appreciate the tips, and I didn't think you were being harsh! It's just that I don't see the Puerto Rican side of my family ever, so anyone who has hair like mine is a good 1000 miles away at any given time. The only time I feel like I can get to a stylist who even has the slightest inkling of what to do is when I'm at college, which is in a small city with plenty of culture, where hair like mine is more likely to be seen, as opposed to my tiny town of 500.
Originally Posted by sourwolf
Helpful response thank you. Stylists are there to style your hair, sadly the vast majority either don't know or don't care that much about hair health and don't think hair is damaged unless it is totally fried. It's trichologists and dermatologists that should be into healthy hair but they are not so into attractive hair!!

Try applying a leave in conditioner to dripping wet hair, before you towel dry. You can use the one you have or get a new product if it's still too sticky. Also switch from a terry cloth towel to a microfibre or flour sack towel, you can get microfibre in dollar stores and flour sack in markets or craft places. Both of these make a difference to frizz.

I would strongly recommend you turn your flat iron down to 175C (see link earlier for why) - if you don't have the instruction manual the temperature settings for different Instylers are online. Also use a silicone based heat protectant from now on. Silicones they are king for heat protectant and 'slip' or friction reduction - you are using a rotating brush which will be ripping over your hair cuticles with every rotation.

A full head permanent dye over the top of a full head permanent dye is also very damaging, your lengths will be porous so you could just do a semi permanent colour which is not damaging. I do a two step, permanent colour the roots only and high pigment semi the lengths, it's a bit of a PITA but well worth it for healthier, less porous hair and less frizzy/ poofy hair. For a while I had a demarcation where the top half of my hair was well behaved and the bottom half fluffy/ poofy from the old damage.

Keep posting here, we will help you as much as we can, many of us have been in your shoes - I spent two years growing out damage and my hair is so much easier to manage, I receive compliments regularly even tho it's far from perfect. Now I cringe at what I did to my hair for YEARS and wonder how I had any left on my head!! Feel free to laugh, I didn't stop abusing my hair or even know I had waves/ curls until my late thirties!!

Sorry if this all sounds negative or critical, it is not meant to. I think it's a strangely positive thing if we can identify major 'crimes against hair' because then you know WHY your hair is so badly behaved, and you know that your new growth CAN be happy and healthy if you are kind to it over the coming months and years. I was sort of relieved when I joined the Longhaircommunity forums and learned almost everything I was doing was wrong or damaging, before that I thought I just had naturally 'bad hair'.
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Boots Essentials gel
Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
Experimenting with: benign neglect