View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
Firefox7275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
The Neutrogena T-Sal is technically sulfate free, but this ingredient is pretty much just as bad as SLS.

Water , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Sodium C14 16 Olefin Sulfonate , Linoleamidopropyl PG Dimonium Chloride Phosphate , Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate , Polyquaternium 22 , Hexylene Glycol , Sodium Citrate

I've actually tried low poos with Sodium C14 16 Olefin Sulfonate that were more drying than SLS poos.

What Makes a Cleansing Ingredient More Harsh or More Gentle?

I wouldn't recommend the Shea Moisture Organic African Black Soap Deep Cleansing Shampoo. I believe the African Black Soap ingredient is a saponified oil and pH level of these soap can destroy the acid mantle of your skin causing you further issues. I used diluted liquid soap on my face once...it was not a smart life decision .
If I'm wrong about what African Black Soap is or if the salicylic acid balances it out...ignore that.

I think the ingredients for the Giovanni Don't Be Flaky! Soothing Anti-Dandruff Shampoo are good.
"Pretty much as bad as" in what sense? Don't confuse dermatology/ pharmacy with cosmetic care for hair. Dandruff is NOT psoriasis, they do not have the same aetiology nor the same treatment. The curl chemist articles are fantastic, but she (rightly) assumes the majority of her audience has healthy skin.

As I think you are alluding to ... salicylic acid does not balance out the damaging effect of soap, for healthy skin and hair, Tonya McKay says
"Another very important ingredient to avoid for long, curly hair especially is soaps. In the past, I have written an article cautioning users of soap to be careful, but basically concluding that it was probably okay to use soaps with an acidic rinse and lots of moisturizing agents. Based on the following information obtained from the research of Dr. Ali Syed (a hair care researcher who specializes in African and curly hair), I cannot in good conscience advocate use of any soap products on curly hair.

Soap molecules are salts of fatty acids found in plants and animal fats. They are somewhat alkaline and cause the hair to swell and the cuticle to raise up away from the surface of the hair shaft. These molecules are then able to penetrate through the cuticle and into the CMC where they neutralize the fatty acids in the lipid layer, rendering them water soluble. The fatty acids are then rinsed away in the shower and are gone forever. Use of soap to cleanse one’s hair, especially long curly hair, seems to be a really effective way of permanently destroying the cuticle layer and making the hair very highly porous. This is an example of why natural may not always be superior
."
An Indepth Look at Porosity | Curly Nikki | Natural Hair Styles and Natural Hair Care

CO-wash: Inecto coconut
Treatments: Komaza Matani, coconut oil, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss ultimate volume, Inecto argan
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Boots Essentials gel
Experimenting with: going back to basics

Last edited by Firefox7275; 06-27-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Firefox7275 is offline   Reply With Quote