View Single Post
Old 06-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #59
Korkscrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samanthascurlz View Post
Ironically, there is a thread speaking about Paula Deen's "n" word comment. I think that, in collaboration with this topic, it makes a further valid point of why nobody should say it. Who knows her reasoning, but my point is, we can't get mad when a non-black person uses that word, yet the "n" word is used perdominately in a specific race. It shows lack of respect.

The other day, I was speaking to my friend who was venting to me about some drama in her life concerning her boyfriend. She is biracial, like me, and her boyfriend is black. She kept calling him a n***A. I then proceeded to tell her about this exact thread and what we are all discussing. To me, it was a perfect example of someone, who if they were to have been called the "n" word, would have been angry, yet when she was angry, she was able to drop the "n" word like it was saying 'hello.'

This thread helped me examine her thought process/beliefs on using the word. So I thank everyone for this great discussion.
Good points! It makes no sense to adopt the word n***er (the destructive baby monster it is) when it seems convenient, then complain when someone else uses it as they will. The old "do as I say, not as I do" argument doesn't work and never worked.

In reaction to what your friend does, I confess (as someone biracial like y'all): I reserve a special, high place on my s**t list for biracial ppl who hurl n***er at black people I think the reason is that I'm never quite sure whether that person is seeing themselves as just black when they say it (One Drop Ruling themselves), or if they are thinking of their own whiteness (or non-blackness) and therefore are genuinely being racist (to try and separate themselves from their black ilk). Either way though, it's both self-deprecating and demeaning to others so it's pretty tacky. Someone multi-cultural or biracial could choose to embrace the good stuff about their heritages, rather than trash one or more. I think some of us mixed types struggle w/it, despite being relentlessly stereotyped as the future ambassadors of positive race relations. Some real pieces of work roam among us LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby View Post
Another layer of this problem is that blacks (and other minorities) claim to want to "move on" from being thought of as second class. However, their continued use of the word is only prolonging the divide.
I'm confused Bobby. Didn't you say you're OK with an Italian calling another Italian D**o? Italians - especially the darker ones whose Moorish ancestry clearly shows - also suffer discrimination in the US. In fact, many in the white community still separate themselves from Italians and look down on them because they aren't seen as white enough or smart or classy enough.

Last edited by Korkscrew; 06-28-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Korkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote