Ugh, I was afraid of hearing that. The fact that my ends and some length may need to go. I'm not anxious about cutting my hair at all because since 2011 it literally has not grown at all, because I have this irrational fear that it just WON'T grow back. Silly, I know, but I've gotten really attached to my long hair. But it's time to let go

However, what's done is done and I've asked my mother to set up a session for a trim with my old stylist (the one who used to give me all my relaxers). She'll likely try to bully me into getting a relaxer again (and even offer to pay for it) but no way, Jose. The one thing I am glad about is that I refused to use wax on my dreads and still stuck to a sulfate-free routine. I may trim my hair a bit, work on getting it healthier for a few months and then put the dreads back in, we'll see. I miss them.

At curlicious13, my hair does not like Jojoba oil but luckily Olive Oil does not seem to bother it. And I will also try Panthenol. I currently decided to try using some Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque that I had lying around from months ago and I noticed it had panthenol in it. It's also like a thick, buttery consistency, so maybe this will cut down on some of the dryness and add some moisture. I plan on rinsing it out and if I feel my hair needs it, co-washing with Suave Naturals Daily Clarifying Conditioner.

Products I've Used:
SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie (fail)
SM Thickening Growth Milk (no noticeable results after 3 months so I may keep trying this)
SM Raw Shea Restorative Conditioner (very heavy on my hair so I stopped using it)
Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque (trying again with this one)
Say Yes to Carrots Leave-In Conditioner (LOVE this)
Tresseme Naturals Avocado and Aloe Conditioner
Nature's Gate Herbal Daily Shampoo
Organic Root Stimulator Incredibly Rich Moisturizing Lotion (why I tried this, I don't know. Needless to say it did not work
One'N'Only Argan Oil (once I found out that this product was nothing but 'cones and maybe a few drops of actual Argan oil I was so infuriated I threw the bottle at the wall. EXPENSIVE!!)

Quite a few of these products contain glycerin. I have a sneaking suspicion that I might be sensitive to glycerin too, since it pulls moisture out of the air into the hair and my locks are always frizzy, I am trying to make my hair healthier, as that's my ultimate goal: long, shiny, healthy hair that I can either lock back up or grow out and wear down. I admit that I came into the Curly Girl method (I do a modified version of it) with hopes that my hair would bounce right back, however, this has been more of a slow dive than a quick race. If my hair ends up healthier, stops breaking off, starts retaining more moisture and actually grows some, I can deal with a bit of frizz. I don't mind if it takes a long time. Rome was not built in a day.

I will try products containing ceramides and panthenol, since my hair is not a fan of coconut oil, and I'm not sure about whether it likes protein or not. Besides coconut oil, what are some good products that can add a small does of hydrolysed protein to my hair so I can test it out? Can any of it be handmade with ingredients in my own kitchen?
Originally Posted by curlymetalgirl
Alternatives to coconut oil that contain the same penetrating/ protein protective lauric acid include palm kernel oil, tucuma butter and babassu oil. Note that I said ingredient, just because something doesn't work straight up doesn't mean you can't use it balanced with other ingredients.

Shea butter and jojoba largely don't penetrate and shea can build up, no oils or butters moisturise (add or increase water) to hair. There is no protein found in butters or oils, the coconut oil helps your hair hold onto hairs own structural proteins instead of them washing away when you shampoo.

You can DIY a hydrolysed protein treatment with gelatin, see the recipes board. A DIY deep treatment that is raved about is a cheap light conditioner plus coconut oil (or olive) plus honey and/ or aloe vera gel. Do a weak/ dilute protein treatment initially, it may dry your hair out that is 'normal' just do a deep condition right afterwards.

If you go back to dreads lose the baking soda, being alkaline that is worse for hair than a sulphate shampoo. TBH you might have been better using some sort of wax, that would have caused a mess but helped your hair hold water and generally given a layer of protection - baking soda and table salt dehydrate the hair.
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
Experimenting with: benign neglect