View Single Post
Old 06-29-2013, 11:18 AM   #67
Korkscrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samanthascurlz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korkscrew View Post
Thanks for the compliment Samantha It's interesting you were told you are North African. Though I appreciate all cultures, admittedly I've had some unexplained, strong attraction to the culture (esp. the music and food), and people of North Africa in the past two years.

Like you, I don't know the exact location as it regards my African roots. I am hoping to find that out soon, since I'm about to re-take a ancestral DNA test (they couldn't determine the results from my first sample). I can't wait to find out ... Have you considered taking one of these tests?

As for your struggle with black people, not sure if this is true for you, but I found that some of that can be regional. I've found that people of ALL backgrounds in the US tend to be more rigid about their cultural/social expectations in areas that are more racially segregated (and generally more conservative). For example, I've found that coastal metropolitan communities tend to be far more tolerant of multi-cultural people. The times I've run into issues getting along w/some black people was when they lived in areas where they are segregated and generally treated worse than their white counterparts. ... So in those areas, the price of admission is you must speak ebonics as a way to show you can be trusted. But let's face it: there's a price of admission for biracial people to get along with some whites in those areas too. You must speak the way they do (without ebonics) or you will be alienated I think there are cultural expectations coming from both sides.
That is so interesting! I didn't know you could do that! You must be so excited! I must look into this, bc I would love to do that myself. I agree, region can definitely contribute to people's perception!
Samantha, an excellent company to use for ancestral DNA testing is "23andme". Earlier this year they dropped their price from $300 to $100 in order to increase their sample collection for the purpose of genetic study. It's a company Dr. Henry Gates Jr. uses on at least one of his ongoing PBS TV series about ancestral genetics
Korkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote