Hello lovely ladies,
I've JUST discovered CG method 2 weeks ago. I previously thought my hair was straight, but at my most recent haircut, my stylist asked why I don't wear it wavy, and showed me how to scrunch. Hooray! I've always wanted wavy hair!

But it's not coming to me so easily. I've been following CG for two weeks, and trying a variety of products and techniques. My hair is nice and wavy when wet ( although a bit messy/tangly/frizzy) but ALWAYS ends up flat and messy/straight when it dries. HELP!

My hair is very fine (like baby hair!), thin density, oily at the roots for second day hair, normal porosity and cannot hold ANY weight. My protein/moisture balance seems alright, though I need to use protein somewhat regularly. My hair is barely shoulder level at its longest, and the shorter pieces NEVER curl or wave.

Here's what i've been doing:
Daily- Loreal Evercurl sulfate free poo on roots and conditioner on ends, cold/cool water rinse and wide tooth combing while conditioning.
1x week sulfate shampoo wash followed by CNPF and DT or Leave in with evercurl conditioner
every other day- Ion protein treatment 2 min
scrunching upside down with a tshirt to semi-dry before products, plopping 5-10 min after products, scrunching as it dries
evercurl poo.
evercurl mousse
volumax mega gel
homemade sea salt spray (sea salt, water, a tiny drop of conditioner and a squirt of gel)
ocassionally pantene hairspray (hence the sulfate wash 1x week)

I don't use all of the products everyday. I've just been experimenting with them in different combinations. regardless of what I use, it looks nice wet and awful dry. It ALWAYS looks tangled, and at best semi-dry, looks like beach waves. I had the best waves from sleeping on a plop, but I actually was unable to sleep and they were still unruly. By the time I arranged them, they looked awful again. Most days I look like a person with straight hair who forgot to comb it (yuck).

Please, any advice would be helpful!! And please tell me if i'm doing something wrong!

Here are some photos at various stages:
photo 1(9) | Flickr - Photo Sharing! my hair wet and scrunched
photo 2(6) | Flickr - Photo Sharing! this is how thin my hair is, and what happens when my waves clump with product too close to the root.
photo 1( | Flickr - Photo Sharing! Probably the best semi-dry waves i've had, despite the tangles/frizz
photo 3(6) | Flickr - Photo Sharing! Almost dry, flattening out!
photo 4(3) | Flickr - Photo Sharing! Dry, flat. How do I prevent this?

Thanks!
Originally Posted by nicki.hallen
You aren't following Curly Girl you are modifying multiple 'rules' - have you read the book, all the stickies or thoroughly researched the method? Overall your routine doesn't seem conditioning enough.

- Lose the sulphates and hairspray because both damage skin and hair, CG is all about condition, condition, condition to define curl
- Cut back on the sea salt spray to occasional use, it's very drying and could well be contributing to tangling and frizz
- Where is the leave in conditioner? You need this to clump and protect your hair from the multiple drying products you are using after. Ends only is not enough if you shampoo: conditioner encourages the cuticle to lie flat and reduces friction reducing tangling and frizz
- Apply products to dripping wet hair, if your hair is frizzy/ tangly when dripping then you are using too many dehydrating ingredients or not enough conditioning ones or both
- Most fine hairs benefit from hydrolysed protein little and often, this helps boost wave/ curl
- Start out with one styling product not three or four
- For fine hair scrunching AND plopping is likely way too much water removal/ manipulation
- Clip the roots for volume and even the lengths to support the curl
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...eature=mh_lolz
- Choose your ingredients and products based on your hair properties and dew points/ humidity
- Don't chop and change every wash, give things a chance to work!!
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
Experimenting with: benign neglect

Last edited by Firefox7275; 06-30-2013 at 06:11 PM.