What I can tell you though is NOT to make a baking soda/water PASTE. I now use a baking soda rinse every few days (2-3) with a LOT of water and as long as I conditioner right after, it's fine. It can dry out though, so watch out, it's not for everyone. I used to condition with an apple cider vinegar rinse and it was real good, but I ran out of acv and need to get more but have been too lazy (and recently bought a $20 conditioner that I NEED to finish xD).

So, basically, I use a baking soda rinse (LOT of water, little bit of baking soda) or egg/water rinse as shampoos (and skip shampoo maybe one day); and a $20 conditioner (sorry, I forgot the name of it, but it's not significantly awesome or bad. I can tell you the name if you want later) as a shampoo rarely and a conditioner daily.
Originally Posted by clarissafrn
Sorry but baking soda is not fine, it is the alkalinity (high pH) that is damaging to both skin and hair, a pH meter or strips can only measure a water based solution anyway not undissolved solids in a paste. It is not simply the roughness of the grains, there is plenty of research/ experiments indicating what harm alkaline agents do to skin and hair if you Google for it.

Vinegar does not in any way fit the definition of a hair conditioner it's a drying acidic solution, it will encourage the cuticle to lay flat but won't patch repair damage, help maintain hydration or elasticity, reduce combing friction or the many other properties of a hair conditioner. Hair feeling a certain way is not proof of what has actually occurred at a structural or microscopic level.

Two good series of tutorials on pH and conditioning (total of eight videos to watch)
♡♡♡Structure of Hair Part 2 - pH Balance Basics - YouTube
Moisture Basics: Moisturizing and Sealing Your Hair - YouTube
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
Experimenting with: benign neglect