When I sleep in the GVP I put it in dry- I can't sleep in wet hair! It dries and turns kinda crunchy within an hour or less, then i rinse it out in the morning. I guess I was confused- I saw that many people on here recommended it as a deep treatment. I used to use my YTC and it worked ok, but my hair seemed much softer after using the GVP. Is the Tresemme or Too Shea better? No clue what an occlusive is!! My dews are usually around 50 and the frizz forecast suggests humectants. I love mixing honey with my conditioner- it makes my waves much more uniform and curlier. I'm not sure how emollients fit in, or even what they do!

I did do two protein treatments a month apart when I first started CG and I feel like I'm still trying to recover. My hair was incredibly rough feeling- definitely straw like. It was a mess! No curl, just poofy and rough. I'm very hesitant to try it again, but I like the idea of just putting it on the ends. They may still be damaged so that may help. I even noticed that my hair was rough if I just used styling products with protein in them and cut them out completely while trying to deep condition as much as possible. I guess I'm missing what will really penetrate the hair shaft to moisturize! Sigh.
Originally Posted by WavyRoo
People on here do a lot of unscientific and illogical things like applying conditioner to dry hair when it's not designed for that - the basic conditioning ingredients (cationic surfactants and fatty alcohols AKA emollients) adhere best to recently shampoo'd hair due to the charges on the molecules. Emollients are hair and skin softeners, they have various benefits including temporarily patching damage on the hair surface, reducing friction when combing, very weak humectants.

By all means use honey but don't add humectants to yet more humectants, balance your routine. Proteins also have humectant properties so perhaps you have simply been overdoing the humectants for some time. By letting a product containing a high percentage of two humectants dry on your hair you are more likely to be drawing water out of your hair than moisturising (adding or increasing water).

Occlusives are sealants = oils, butters, silicones, petroleum jelly, waxes (some of these we avoid in CG). Some oils are penetrating - anything rich in lauric acid or oleic acid especially coconut olive and avocado - others like shea butter are not.

Tresemme, Yes to Carrots and Too Shea are not really deep conditioners, they are everyday conditioners designed to reach maximum effectiveness in a fairly short time. If you want to use these you can use them as a base for a deep conditioner, you can add ingredients to make a deep conditioner but do so logically, something that penetrates, something that balances out your routine or the product, an ingredient you believe is a penetration enhancer for another ingredient. Honey with coconut oil is a popular and logical combination.

First of an excellent series of articles on deep conditioning
THE NATURAL HAVEN: Deep Conditioning Update: Penetration and Adsorption
Originally Posted by Firefox7275
Sorry WavyRoo, I don't mean to convert to a different topic, but Firefox, what are some ingredients that are considered emollients? I have been trying to find a good leave-in, but I am not specifically positive on what exactly to look for.

Also, that was a great article!
High Porosity, Fine, Thin Density, Low Elasticity
Co-wash, leave in, and gel: Alba botanica coconut cond., ogx mousse, &/or super wet look gel.
Curls

Last edited by Samanthascurlz; 07-01-2013 at 03:14 PM.