Ok, some of that makes sense.....kinda. I'm a math teacher, not a science teacher. You're smart, chica!

Yeah I'm not gonna lie- still confused. So coconut oil is another thing I SOOO wanted to love, but it seemed to suck all the curl right out my hair. I did mix coconut oil, honey, Tresemme and a little cinnamon (it's supposed to help bring out natural highlights) for a deep treatment last week which I again slept in. I did a low poo to make sure there was no build up, then put in the mix. That time it WAS wet and in a shower cap all night. Should I not be doing my treatments overnight? It's the only way I have time to let it really sit on my hair... Anyways my hair was awful the next day. Puffy, undefined, lank, rough. I put it up. That's the third time I tried a DT with coconut oil. Man, I must really be doing something wrong here. I've read everything I could get my hands on and thought I was finally starting to understand all the verbage. Apparently not. I certainly appreciate your advice!
Originally Posted by WavyRoo
I do overnight deep treatments but everything I use has at least one penetrating ingredient. There is no point in using standard conditioners that having nothing more that emollients and humectants overnight, they will work within the hour. Hydrolysed proteins and penetrating oils should slowly diffuse into the hair over many hours - they can absorb into the cortex because the molecules are very very small.

Experiment with coconut oil if you have porous hair, the research for penetration is on dry hair which makes sense because it's not water soluble. If I use coconut oil (or similar oils containing lauric acid like palm kernel oil, tucuma butter, babassu oil) I sometimes do it on slightly damp but not wet hair, sometimes do let that partially dry on my hair and partially soak overnight with a shower cap for the heat.

Are you washing the deep treatment out thoroughly so your hair is squeaky clean again or feeling like you need to leave a residue to get the benefit? If you are sure you are washing it out then either you are using and absorbing too much (see curl chemist article), coconut oil is not for you, or you are overdoing the humectants. It's tough to know which, there is an element of science and an element of experimenting to find your hair's balance.

I don't think I'd muddy the waters with gritty spices like cinnamon, try adding one ingredient at a time so you get the amount right and you know the effect, add the cinnamon down the line when you have a successful routine set up. So If you have established the Tresemme/ honey combo works, add just a little coconut oil the next time. Or establish if you can make the oil and conditioner work alone, then add just a little honey the next time.
Mineral Oil Versus Coconut Oil: Which is better?
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
Experimenting with: benign neglect

Last edited by Firefox7275; 07-01-2013 at 04:57 PM.