Can anyone give recommendations for:
hair spray
hard hold gel
products/ conditioners with protein in them
inexpensive leave ins that wont weigh my hair down (it is seriously weighed down by ANYTHING but hairspray, sometimes even hairspray)
Originally Posted by nicki.hallen
Okay:

Hairspray:
I guess the Deva one is the only CG one I know of. Most commercial hairsprays contain alcohol denat or alcohol SD, drying alcohols that you should stay away from. If you notice, none of the CG-brands make hairspray. What exactly are you looking for in a hairspray? If it's hold, you may be better off with a hard hold gel. What might be a good spray for you however would be a protein spray. I've got one coming in the mail from SS, I can keep you posted. Komaza Care makes one, as well as the SM C/H line... however the latter one has coconut oil which may weigh you down a bit.

Hard hold gel:
This is a good choice for many wavies as it helps keep their waves in shape. Some popular ones are BRHG (Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee), Volumax Mega gel (from Sally's) and LA Looks Mega.

Conditioners/products with protein
I have an idea for you since you say many things weigh you down. You can add Colorful Neutral Protein Filler (from Sally's) to Suave Naturals Coconut conditioner and you'll have a condish that you can use as a leave-in or rinse-out that has a good amount of protein but will still be light.

Otherwise, as far conditioners/products with protein... things I can think off of the top of my head: Shea Moisture Coconut/Hibiscus line (try the spray), Giovanni Smooth as Silk condish (good protein hit), Nature's Gate Biotin, Spiral Solutions Caitlin's Conditioner, protein spray, & PT; some like Cure Care and Ion Effective Care & Reconstructor from Sally's

If you go to the Products tab of this site, you can check off "protein-rich" when searching for products.

I think your hair will benefit from regular PTs, even once a week. I love IAgirl's gelatin PT: Pedaheh's Hair Blog: Science-y Hair Blog Recipes

Keep in mind humectants and dew points when choosing products!

Some home-made products might work for you as well, like FSG (flax-seed gel). You can also add protein to them.

Mousses might be a very good choice for you. I recently tried the DermOrganic mousse I got and I got some good definition and definitely more volume than other products I've tried. There's lots of "favorite mousse" threads on the board, many of them recent.

Also, would a volumizing sulfate free shampoo/conditioner/products be a better choice that the curl enhancing? since I have problems with volume?
Originally Posted by nicki.hallen
"Volumizing" doesn't necessarily mean anything. I think some starches can help give you volume in the crown (dry shampoo or baby powder method). I've been wanting to experiment in this area but haven't gotten around to it. (I have been wanting to try the SM Yucca/Baoba shampoo... I don't know whether to recommend it though, you may be better off sticking to "clear" lowpoos.)

Other than that, for volume it's mostly a matter of diffusing (so water doesn't weigh down your hair) and clipping technique.
fine - normal porosity*?- medium density - normal elasticity. Hard water. SoCal.
*Used to be low-porosity, but I lightened my hair 1-2 shades, so I may be normal-porosity now.

New climate! Current favorites:
Low-poo: CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo, Giovanni SaS
RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
Styler: UFD CM (old formula), FSG + CNPF
PT: CJ Repair Me, IAgirl's gelatine

Experimenting with: JC Confident Coils, JC Rockin Ringlets, CJ CIAB, gelatin gel

iherb discount code: CFN646

Last edited by wavydaze; 07-03-2013 at 09:34 AM.