I do deep condition every now and then, usually with olive oil and honey. I tend to stay away from protein though because it seems like it dries my hair.

Thanks for the recommendations! Some questions: how can you tell what pH a product is at? And which alcohols are considered fatty? I'm willing to try going cone-free again, I'm just pretty uneducated. Just bought AOHR conditioner to get started.
Originally Posted by curlicarly
Try weekly overnight coconut oil soaks to reduce your porosity since you have it to hand. The lauric acid is a smaller molecule than the oleic acid in olive oil so will penetrate better, it's also associated with increased elasticity and is more 'slippy' which can help with clumping.

Some companies advertise the pH (eg. Komaza Care, As I Am, Dermorganic are 4.5 to 5.5), some are listed on the Natural Haven blog, otherwise purchase some pH test strips. Note that oils don't have a pH only water based products. All conditioners should be slightly acidic but there is a lot of variation
THE NATURAL HAVEN: pH of Conditioners
THE NATURAL HAVEN: pH of Shampoo : The Ultimate List!
THE NATURAL HAVEN: pH of Leave In Conditioners and Styling Aids

Fatty alcohols are listed in the 'curl chemist' articles here on NC, the whole series is worth a read
Ingredients Commonly Found in Hair Care Products
Originally Posted by Firefox7275
WOW thank you so much for this wealth of information! I'm so determined to find the right products/methods now.
3b/c coarse, porous (I think), and THICK! Mod CG since: 10/11/08
Avoiding humectants and protein!