firefox7275: I get the medusa noodle effect. I don't think my hair has enough curly to clump into the nice thick ringlets (well, except for the odd ringlet I sometimes get in the under layers). What stylers are film formers? Also, what are your thoughts on Rockin Ringlets? I see it in your signature and have been thinking of trying it.
Originally Posted by kaykre
Hydrolysed protein and mucilage extracts (okra, flaxseed) are some of the main film formers we use. Aloe vera can be a film former, also some of the ingredients in Kinky Curly Knot Today - but AV doesn't play nicely in all dew points and KCKT is pH 7 so I can't say how they work as styling aids. I *think* xanthan gum is, there is also sclerotium gum but that is more used in skincare AFAIK.

I really did not like RR the first few times, decent clumps broke up into stringlets and I didn't feel curl boost where I needed it either. I liked it MUCH better when I tried again without any gel over the top for a casual look. Also liked the effect of conditioner only styling with loads of a protein rich conditioner - that is why I am coming round to the idea that plenty of true conditioner (cationic surfactants, fatty alcohol) plus a film former and not hard hold products work better for my hair type.
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Boots Essentials gel
Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
Experimenting with: benign neglect