View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #15
Firefox7275

Quote:
Originally Posted by crofterica View Post
Okay--I've also noticed my curls seem less curly all of a sudden. Do you think I'm leaving too much of the TN in my hair?
Are you cleansing properly, so your hair is literally squeaky clean (it's a softer squeak than shampoo)? Could otherwise be protein-moisture balance, or not the right ingredients for your dew points/ humidity. Suave and Tresemme Naturals both contain humectants (eg. glycerin, propylene glycol, aloe vera, honey).

Humectants can cause problems if overused and the effect tends to be more pronounced in those with higher porosity or at very high or very low dews. Porous hair often needs less moisture not more, but more elasticity, more penetrating oils to reduce porosity, maybe film formers to seal the cuticle.

Tiffany from Live Curly Live Free says
"In very low moisture areas, dry climates, or during the wintertime, humectants can actually dry the hair out further by absorbing water from the hair itself when there is no moisture in the surrounding atmosphere. Because the sole purpose of a humectant is to find and absorb moisture, it will find it and take it wherever it can get it--and that includes yanking out the moisture from inside your curly locks, leaving you with a dry, frizzy mess.

In very high moisture areas, wet climates, or during the summertime, however, humectants will force overly porous hair to continuously “drink” water from the humid, moisture-laden atmosphere until the hair shaft is swollen, bloated and tangled. Products with heavy humectants are often the cause of the humidity-induced frizz common to many girls with curls in the hot, humid summertime.

Both overly dry and overly swollen hair can become frizzy and/or lose their wave pattern due to improper use of humectants. Depending on your hair type---and, most especially if you are overly porous---humectants should not be used in very dry or very wet climates, or when dew points indicate there is too little or too much moisture in the atmosphere.
"
http://www.curlynikki.com/2009/06/cu...tants-and.html

CO-wash: Inecto coconut
Treatments: Komaza Matani, coconut oil, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss ultimate volume, Inecto argan
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Boots Essentials gel
Experimenting with: going back to basics

Last edited by Firefox7275; 07-13-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Firefox7275 is offline   Reply With Quote