Ok. I do have some indigo. Never really used it because i thought two step and after henna not in the mood. I read on Hennasooq that cassia and black tea darkens grays. Will try that too.
Originally Posted by adthomas
Yeah, that 2-step thing is a drawback. Another drawback is if you accidentally go too dark w/it, you won't be able to lighten your hair again w/out taking drastic measures. So I was thinking about all this and have some other questions for you, before considering adding indigo:

You mentioned here or on another henna-related thread that you were using a "henna cream". Do you know what exactly is in that cream besides henna (if you're still using that form of henna)? Based on the info I got from Mehandi.com (whose founder has a PhD in henna, of all things lol), certain additives can significantly weaken the strength and color of henna. Another consideration is what type of henna you've been using, which reflects how high or low the lawsone content is. For ex., Jamila has less lawsone (therefore a weaker stain) than something like Rajasthani henna (very strong stain). And so Raj would probably offer better gray coverage. But with Raj you will get a burgundy/wine/auburn color - a deeper red than the Jamila. That's the trade off. So if you haven't already, you can try Raj w/out nothing added to it except warm water and some type of acid, for dye release ... if you're willing to go deep red/burgundy.
Originally Posted by Korkscrew
I alternate. I have two henna creams. Surya which I dont think works well and Reshma which works better. I have a pure henna powder I got at Tunisian store but it doesnt say what kind. Only made in Lebanon. I have ordered raj from henna sooq and it made my grays light orangy. I didnt like it. But then I did mix it with tea because Im terrified to overdo the red because my har already has red undertones. I like the creams because I dont like applying to my whole head and having to help my hair recover from henna shock.
"A life without fame can be a good life, but fame without a life is no life at all." - Clive Davis