My hair when wet and styled with gel is 2c, but as it dries it seems to get looser and looser, and the roots get flatter as well. Today I tried clipping and using more gel , which worked until my hair was about 70% dry. I got more lift/wave intially, but I scrunched out the crunch once my hair was 90% dry and my waves have fallen to a almost 2a now and the roots are deflating. I'm wondering if it the products I'm using. My hair feels very soft and moisturized, not particularly limp or anything, from over conditioning. I used L.A. Looks sport gel today, and quite a bit. I like the way it looks, but I would also like my hair to have dried the way it looked before it went flat.

Anyway, I expect lots of wavies have this problem, is that just normal? Or have you guys been able to hold your waves at their maximum waviness with different products/methods or avoiding certain ingredients in styling products? I was also thinking of buying a diffuser to speed up drying time. It seems like a part of the problem is my hair is waist length without layers and it is quite heavy when wet.

Thanks for reading!
Originally Posted by TamLin
What are your hair properties, dew points/ humidity and full routine?

Waist length hair is always going to be pulled out unless you support more of the weight whilst it is drying, some pile their hair into a hoodie or use Curly Hair Solutions roller jaw clamps. Why are you scrunching out the crunch when your hair is not fully dry? Leave it as long as possible, way after you think it is bone dry if you can.
Root Volume for Curly Girls - YouTube

Ingredients that can help boost curl include coconut oil, honey, hydrolysed protein and magnesium sulphate (epsom salts). Coconut oil is particularly good for porous or damaged hair, hydrolysed protein especially good for fine or damaged hair. Too many humectants in your conditioner and stylers can cause hair to hold too much water and flop. IMO the right leave in conditioner is as or more important than a hard hold styling product for curl shape and retention.
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Boots Essentials gel
Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
Experimenting with: benign neglect