You don't sound negative-- just frustrated. Understandable.

60's and 70's means you have to watch your use of humectants because they'll slurp all the moisture out of the atmosphere and make your hair big and frizzy. It's really hard to find products without humectants though. I'd tell you to make some humectant free FSG but I know you don't like to make it yourself. :/ I promise you it's quite easy though if you get desperate.

Mushy means really really soft. Also symptomatic of overconditioned hair is a loss of definition and the hair gets frizzy and flyaway, like a cloud. But then hair that's not getting enough moisture will be frizzy too. So you really have to feel your hair. For me, I know when I wet my hair in the shower is when I can best tell how moisturized it is. Too much. Too little. If it turns to silk, I'm good. If not, it's dry. If it turns to sloppy silk, I overdid it on the moisture.

I was also 2C before I became CG! Okay, well, we're getting somewhere then. Curl pattern does matter sometimes. . . too bad your hair hasn't grown out enough to pin back quite yet. I think if you have to go back to sulfates and silicone just for the summer, well, it's not the end of the world. Maybe you might try your old styling products and find the silicones aren't building up as quickly. And you could use a low poo of sorts with lower sulfate content. If that makes the problem worse you can always come back to CG. Isn't biolage gel CG though? Or was it bioterra? I don't know. I get them confused in my head sometimes. Oh, and some people even in humid climates can use glycerin without it causing frizz. I think I remember mhen76 (was that her name?) saying she had no problem with glycerin in any dew point.

Yes, Jaz has fine very porous hair. But her curl pattern is similar to ours at least. And I only mentioned the clarify, PT then DT reset because I'm coarse (albeit porous) and I recently did a brief PT and overnight DT and it set my hair to rights. I didn't clarify though as there was no need but some people do it just to be on the safe side. The PT I did was a gelatin pack, pure gelatin (aside from a bit of vinegar) and the whole pack. But I only left it in like 15-20 minutes, tops. The DT I did was just some Shea Moisture restorative conditioner and coconut oil.
3A - C, HP, ME, HD. (Coarse, High Porosity, Medium Elasticity, High Density.)

CG since Nov. 2012

Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

* = HG