There are definitely some good less expensive silicone-free products out there. There are a few threads floating around for budget-friendly CG products. My issue with most of the CG-friendly drugstore products I find is that I can't necessarily get the ingredients that I look for in a single product and I need to layer, mix, or otherwise alter many products to suit my preferences (in all fairness, I have found a few that I really like). But I find the same is true with non-CG products. Most of the drugstore brands that I've tried didn't really impress me. The handful of non-CG products that I use on a regular basis were still all salon brands anyway. And not for lack of trying, since I'm a horrible product junkie at heart.

3a/f/iii
Modified CG since 11/5/11
CLEANSE: VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea Clarifying, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
RO: DevaCare One Condition, SS Caitlin's Conditioner, Mop Top Daily Conditioner
LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier and Strong Hold Mousse, Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel