Hey Firefox, this definitely helps.

Looking for products with PQ-59 is fine, I will do that. There are other products that claim to protect from UV exposure as well, from blueberry extracts to shea butter to benzo-suchlikes and cinnamates - what's the word on those? I do usually use CJ CCCCL, which says the coffee in there protects a bit, as well as BRHG, which includes some cinnamates - but I am desperately on the lookout for something softer for the days I don't wanna be crunchy.

I do love half-ups, I have to work them back into my post-chop routine!

We're off to the sunniest island in Germany on the weekend so I'll work in a coconut-oil soak before we go!

One more question: How early/late in the whole process can a sun protectant be to still be effective? If I had a cowash with sun protectant ingredients, would enough of those be left in there, given I always leave more-than-a-trace of conditioner when I rinse, to have some effect? What about a coconut oil DT?

PS, some of the Buffs are definitely cute, I will look into ordering one or two!
Originally Posted by frankcesca
No research on most plant extracts, shea has a very low SPF of about 2. IIRC the cinnamates are chemical screens and only block UVB not UVA but both damage the hair, most chemical agents are unstable and break down in UK light.
UV damage of the hair. [Coll Antropol. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI (link below will download the full text of this review)
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...49478099,d.d2k
Photoaggravation of Hair Aging
[Effects of sunscreening agents and r... [Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen. 1998] - PubMed - NCBI

My other concern with most sunscreens products is using enough to get a decent level of protection, think what a thick layer you are recommended to apply to your face and body, it's not a thin moisturising/ make up/ conditioner spray layer. There are many reasons you never see an SPF on a hair protection product, just very vague hints of what they might do.

Coconut oil as a deep treatment will help reduce protein loss from UV damage because of the affinity for structural proteins, but it's not providing UV protection. For example it likely won't prevent the protective cell membrane complex being destroyed, cuticle damage nor the melanin pigment being broken down which increases porosity. Some antioxidants (is that what you mean by blueberry and coffee extracts?) will protect from free radical damage but not against the other forms of UV damage, like chemical agents they get 'used up' or broken down quickly.
http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc2...175-p00192.pdf
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Boots Essentials gel
Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
Experimenting with: benign neglect

Last edited by Firefox7275; 07-23-2013 at 08:43 AM.