I've been lurking around here for a while, but this is my first post!

(Skip to the end for a more condensed version)

I have 2a waves, it's fairly easy to both straighten and curl (using heat of course). My natural hair has no idea what it's doing though. If I air dry with no products it's a bit frizzy and has "bends" here and there, I always thought I had "stupid straight hair" until I figured out I actually had waves. I stopped using shampoos and conditioners with silicones. I used to straighten my hair almost everyday (even on days I skipped washing) . I recently cut about four inches off my hair (it was almost down to my waist!), but the ends were very damaged and it needed to be done.

I believe my hair is normal porosity. Don't hold me to that though, I can be wrong. My hair seems to love moisture, and it loves the deep conditioner I use. I use tresemme naturals moisture shampoo and conditioner. They both don't have silicones, although the shampoo does have sulfates. I just recently switched over to this shampoo & conditioner and so far I like it.

For a mousse I use Aussie sprunch mousse. I also use Garnier Fructis style surf hair texture paste (matte effect). I just recently got Suave captivating curls spray gel, but I haven't tried it yet. For a leave in I use "infusium 23 Repair and Renew leave in treatment" which has proteins in it. My deep conditioner is "Moroccan Argan Oil Intensive Moisture Treatment by Organix".

The best waves I have gotten was when I did this: (this was when my hair was still long and very damaged)
Shampoo as normal. Turn head upside down and apply conditioner by "scrunching" it in. Wait a little bit and rinse while scrunching. (Still upside down). I believe that's the icequeen method if I'm right.
I would then scrunch in my mousse. I would "scrunch" maybe 8 times a section, I really need to encourage my waves.
I applied some texture paste and plopped using a long sleeve tshirt for 10 minutes.
After I took it out of the plop tried to get my hair to fall into my natural part as best as I could and I air dried, scrunching it occasionally.

That doesn't always produce consistent results though, especially with my shorter, healthier hair.

tl;dr

I have 2a, normal porosity (I could be wrong there), hair that needs a lot of encouraging to get it to look decent and wavy. My hair likes moisture.

Do you guys have any suggestions to help my hair produce almost consistent, wavy results? Have any of you 2a's out there had good results using spray gels?

Sorry for such a long post, just tell me if I need to clarify anything.

Last edited by wonderland; 07-23-2013 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Adding in name of deep conditioner.