View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #20
curlytwirlykate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManeMaid View Post
Wow I had NO IDEA they discontinued my redken butter treat!! It was amazing and I even used to scrunch my hair with it. As for the leave-Shea butter cream, it's thankfully still available Attachment 37556

But for protein treatments, I've had a hairdresser mention that before but I had no idea what they were (I once did a dark beer rinse I was so desperate)
So a protein treatment and experimenting with some jelly products would be best? And also cut down on the Shea butter, I do admit that I use a ton of that when my hair is wet bc I can't sense how much is in there
And thank you guys SO MUCH for your help. I'm getting really excited haha
Ohmygosh ManeMaid! You and I are total hair twins! Your curls look a LOT like my own. It's taken awhile, but I've finally discovered how to get consistently good curls! I definitely need lots of protein, and a strong-hold gel.

Are you interested in DIY? The most effective protein treatment for me has been a gelatine protein treatment, and it's SO easy! Here's what I do:

1/4 tsp citric acid OR 1 tsp vinegar in 1/4 cup hot water
Add 1 tsp gelatine and let dissolve
Stir in 2 TBSP coconut oil
Stir in 1/3 cup coconut milk
Stir in 1/4 cup conditioner

Add the following add-ins if you want to:

Avocado (for shine)
Egg yolk
Essential Oils (I love rosemary!)

I apply to wet hair, wrap it in plastic, and then co-wash it out after about an hour.

It's FANTASTIC, and keeps the curls bouncy and reliable!

PM me if you'd like more details on what I do... but my usual routine is in my siggy

Shower Time!
Treat: EVCO
Co-Wash: DE Unscented Condish with added lavender and tea tree EOs
Condish: DE Coconut Condish with added local honey

Styling
After Shower: Homemade FSG with added gelatine

+ bi-weekly protein DIY treatments (gelatin and egg yolk)
+ mindful nutrition
curlytwirlykate is offline   Reply With Quote