View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
biloxi

Hi, Firefox. Thanks for responding.
This might be lengthy.

My hair is porous and fine or fine/medium. I don't know how it got to this state, just that it happened pretty quickly. I don't swim, use heat or dye, and I'm never in the sun for long periods. All I can come up with is diet.
I used a chelating shampoo where I previously lived (years ago), but it never did anything. Admittedly, I don't know whether I have hard water at my current location, but I see no obvious signs of it.

I'm unsure of the dews here, but when it feels particularly hot and/or muggy, all humectants leave me uncontrollably frizzy and too soft or too dry. Some also leave me tangled/matted in said weather. One possible exception is honey, which I've had mixed results with when used in DC's. I avoid humectants in the winter, also, with the exception of panthenol. Under 'mild' conditions, I seem to tolerate panthenol ok, too.

My current routine is to just do a rinse with Mill Creek Biotin. I switched to a coney protein conditioner, Organix Biotin/Collagen (***I do not use cones; this was just a brief experiment***), when it started getting muggier outside but stopped when I noticed more shedding (I think it may have been the particular Cyclo-cone in it).
I don't use leave-in right now. I didn't fare too well last summer and the one before that when I used leave-ins (I alternated between Giovanni SAS, KCKT, and Trader Joe's Nourish Spa). I also don't really DC much anymore, but for years my go-to was Giovanni SAS. Over time I grew leery of it because it always left me with super soft but completely dead curls that were crispy by morning. I've tried several other DC's (Aubrey O Honeysuckle, Kenra, etc.) with no consistent results.

The leave-ins I've tried in the past several months include:
Darcy's Pumpkin Seed, Camille Rose Naturals, Oyin Hair Dew, Giovanni Smooth as Silk and Direct Leave-in. All leave me soft, stringy, frizzed, waxy/mushy and brittle. The SAS is the 'least' offensive but still terrible.

Yes, that's the Komaza formula I used yesterday. When I wet my hair today, it felt soft and pretty manageable, but the roots were stuck together as though my cuticle had been raised.
What I meant was that when I styled after the treatment, my hair was so soft I could barely feel it between my fingers. I rinsed later on and my hair felt like it could just fall out - It had no strength, no real 'substance' to it, just felt very soft. I did use coney conditioners after those first two treatments, so I'm wondering whether that had anything to do with it.

I've not tried coconut oil.

Hope this helps any.
biloxi is offline   Reply With Quote