I totally agree with wavydaze on the buildup issue. My properties are close and I started out as a winter wavy/summer 3a. My hair never met a protein it didn't like and I have yet to use too much protein.

I would do a sulfate wash to start over. It sometimes takes a few washes for me to remove the polyquats. My hair also hates mineral oil. For me, the SM Coconut & Hibiscus line was just too heavy (and I use really rich products, if you understand the difference.) They just sat on my hair. I had to wash them out. I use natural soap bars. They were really popular about 5 years ago, but are frowned upon now because of high pH. I haven't been impressed with any of the products I've used from the other lines, either.

I'm guessing that I had problems with the gelatin PT. I've been putting gelatin in my okra gel, so it's not the gelatin in, and of, itself. I think it's the concentration. The PT is an envelope to 1/4-1/3 c of water. When I put it in okra gel it's an envelope to 4 c of water.
3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
modified CG, since April '07
CG since 3/11/08

SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic (now Hello Curly Curl Stimulater); Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Marie Dean Leave Ins and Curl Creams