My husband is from Canada and there are few "African Americans" there. He says dark skinned people are "Canadians" or "black".
Really? What about dark-skinned people who aren't of African descent? Would he call Omar Vizquel black? He's from Venezuela. What about Deepak Chopra? What about First Nation people? And don't forget you have different names for white people, too, some of which are historically marginalizing--Acadians, Quebecois, and various uniquely Canadian slurs. I really don't think it's as simple as you say. And if it is--well, maybe being hung up on ethnicity is actually preferably to lumping everybody who's not white and/or English-speaking into one massive "Other" category.

I live in the New England, and here people tend to get very smug about how we don't have that legacy of slavery and Jim Crow laws and we're not as racist as they are in other places. It's total ********. Our schools and cities and suburbs and everything else are just as segregated as everyone else's, if not more so. People grab their purses and change seats here, just like they do everywhere. And like Canada, we have a shameful history of anti-Catholic prejudice, which is ethnic prejudice at its core.

All those prefixes for "American," as silly as they can seem, actually derive from efforts to rectify those wrongs--to embrace the variety of ethnicities as all of a piece, which is American (if you live here). You don't hear German-American or Italian-American that much anymore, it's true, but you used to. New ones are also cropping up--when when Jim McGreevey resigned as governor of New Jersey, he described himself as a "Gay American." I agree, the phraseology is losing its relevance, but it was never meant to marginalize, instead to include.

My skin is not dark, but I embrace several hyphenates as descriptors for my ethnicity. Because of my married last name, one of them is French-Canadian. Like most throughout the U.S. who wear that badge, I don't take it to mean that either I or my family are not "real" Americans; it's mean to describe a community of people who have a shared cultural history. It's something to be proud of.
Jessica
Type 2c: coarse, high-density, low porosity (so it would seem)
Avoiding protein and glycerin; going for soft, non-crunchy, frizz-free waves
CO & RO: Tresemme Naturals Moisture
Sealer: Olive oil
Leave-in/Styler: Kinky Curly Knot Today
DT: olive oil and honey