I've only used KCCC so I cannot comment on the other products. If I use it as my main product of the day, yes, it can feel producty until it's dry and I totally SOTC, and
it can take forever to dry.
However, I do love a little of it scrunched in a little ways into diffusing a la the Smasters method to tighten up my curl. That consistently works great for me.
- comb in a bit of curl cream like CJCCC, regular or lite (for me, just three fingers lightly dipped and rubbed between my hands)
- then some actual CG gel (KCCC isn't a real gel) like LALSG or BRHG, HESMU (nickel size of BRHG, quarter to half dollar size of the other two or most other gels)
- rewet with a spray bottle (SuperSoaker method but less messy than at the sink. Works just as well for me)
- comb thru w/a fine-toothed comb or Denman brush (the latter seemed to be causing me some breakage, so I switched to a comb). For some reason, doing one or the other does make a difference in the final quality of my curls.
- scrunch in to get it curling, first with bare hands then with something like a Curlease, flour sack, old t-shirt, paper towels, etc. - just not terrycloth toweling
- diffuse maybe five minutes (I do upside down)
- then I dip 3 fingers into KCCC up to about the first joint, rub hands together and scrunch thru hair
- continue diffusing for a couple of minutes, and mine noticeably curls right up better than pre-KCCC
- flip upright and clip the top for a while
- air dry
- SOTC when fully dry - it can be hard to w/KCCC if it isn't, plus it's the best way to prevent frizz anyway
Using just this bit as described above, an 8 oz. jar lasts me a long time. I'd estimate the last one was a year or close to it. Sounds involved, but from start all the wy down to the last two takes me maybe 10 minutes.
I get mine at Target now, if you happen to have them in Canada. BTW, CHS is in Toronto, so I'd be surprised if you weren't
able to find it in Canada.