THe only time i noticed a change - was when i highlighted my hair a few months ago.......it got very straw like.

then I bought some Shea MOisture masque at target - omg - my hair felt so horrilble........i immediately took it back to the store! I dont even know what was in it, that made my hair so dry!

here is the ingredients for the shea moisture masque:

Deionized Water , Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) , Argan Oil , Vegetable Glycerin , Emulsifying Wax , Sea Kelp Extract , Panthenol (Vitamin B-5) , Essential Oil Blend , Avocado Oil , Tocopherol (Vitamin E) , Hyssopus Officinalis Extract , Salvia Officinalis Leaf and Equisetum Arvense Extract (Sage) , Soybean Oil , Daucus Carota Sativa Seed Oil (Carrot)

there isnt any protein in it at all! Maybe my hair isnt porous at all?!
Originally Posted by curl goddess
I'd guess that your hair didn't care for the oils, butter, and/or the wax content in that, especially if it responded to it by becoming dry yet greasy. You aren't the only one who's mentioned dry, straw-like hair after using that product.

I just read this on that link:

It is also important to remember that, although the above is a great general guideline, there are always exceptions to the rule sometimes; for example, a coarse-haired girl has a lot of structural damage from repeated flat-ironing or chlorine exposure and could benefit from a good protein reconstruction. Always let the condition of your hair be your guide as well as the facts of good hair science!

So maybe because ive been coloring my hair, that i do ok with the protein? PLUS - my hair is about 50% gray......that changes the texture also......

I might try a new shampoo without protein and see how it goes....
Absolutely, your hair is more porous now because you've been coloring it. Porous hair needs protein to fill in the holes in the cuticle. Also, keep in mind that even healthy coarse hair can require some protein now and then, even tolerate an occasional pt.

Its true that the season and where u live have an effect and should count in the equation as well.

I live in AZ where its very dry, no moisture - except for 2 months in the summer during monsoon season when the dew point and humidity soar. I do change my styling products during this season, but havent changed my shampoo/conditioner.

I have coarse thick long hair that is color treated and I used to flat iron it more than i wore it curly until the last few months when i got highlights and it got a little dry. My shampoo and condish both have a couple proteins low on the list of ingredients -but my jessicurl styling products and DTs do not.

My hair feels pretty good, and i only experience frizz in the dry winter months - maybe thats when i should change my shampoo/conditioner?

ive never thought this hard about my hair - but if i could figure it out - my hair would look and feel better!
Again, yes, hair properties (texture, porosity, density) and the weather (dewpoints) should both play a part in product choice. During dry months, you may want to add a leave in conditioner, or use more moisturizing products. You may also need to dt more often. During wet months, you may need more protein and may or may not need a leave in. Humectants like glycerin can be an issue in low (below 30-40) or high (above 60) dewpoints, though some can use them year round. In high dews, humectants can pull too much moisture into the hair and in low dews, can pull too much moisture out of the hair. Either of these situations can cause poof and frizz. Glycerin is a common one, but propylene glycol, aloe, and sorbitol are also humectants. Many find that humectants in rinse out products like shampoo and conditioner aren't a problem, but they have to decrease them in their stylers. If your styler has an oil or butter higher in the ingredients list, it should decrease (or eliminate) the effect of a humectant in it.

If I recall, Jessicurl stylers have a good amount of glycerin in them. During the winter, you might want to add a leave in conditioner (if you don't usually use one) and maybe a sealer (oil or butter) to help "shield" your hair from the glycerin's drying effect and maintain moisture between wash days. Another alternative would be to switch to glycerin free stylers in the winter and see if your hair behaves better. The Frizz Forecast is useful year round, and you may find this page helpful.
CG since 11/2011
2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Summer Products /Routine:
Clarifying: ACV rinses, Suave Professional Men Deep Clean Peppermint
Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
Co-washes: VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze or Strawberries & Cream
RO: VO5 KLS or S&C, Cure Care
LI (if needed): VO5 S&C, VO5 SC, Cure Care
Stylers: FSG, AIF,
Tresemme Flawless Curls Bouncy Curls gel
PT: IAGirl's (link) as needed