So it has been 1 year since I did the big chop and I decided I wanted to dye my hair for a change. I've never dyed my hair before even when I was relaxed and I'm only a natural ingredients type of girl.

I went for the Shea Moisture Hair Color because it had no ammonia in it and it seemed like it would be the best hair color for me. My hair is naturally black and I wanted to go to medium chestnut brown. I knew my hair wouldn't take because of how dark my hair was so I planning on dyeing it twice but the Target I went to only had one box.

I continued anyway and dyed my hair. I didn't do test patch because I didn't want to have to mix the dye and then it oxidize. So I dyed my whole head and left it on for 45 minutes. When I went to rinse out my hair was soooo dry. It even relaxed my curls a little bit. I still followed directions and by the time I was done my ends felt rough.

I continued with the finishing elixir and my lovely camille rose moisture milk as my leave in and put oyin's whipped pudding on my ends to curb the dryness. My hair felt fine by the end of the week but I could still feel the dryness on the ends. So today I'm DCing with the Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque and as soon I put the product in my hair got dry and mangled all over again.

Is there a solution or did I really damage my hair?
Originally Posted by dee.robin.50
Welcome! Unfortunately permanent box dyes are damaging, more so if you don't prepare your hair with coconut oil and hydrolysed protein. Your hair will now be more porous, less elastic and less water resistant that before so would benefit from an altered routine. Contrary to popula belief ammonia free colours are not less damaging, they are just less smelly - that ingredient is replaced by another damaging alkaline agent.

Proven beneficial ingredients for post colour patch repairing are coconut oil, hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol. Shea butter does not penetrate so not particularly beneficial for colour damaged hair. Do also try to use products at pH 4.5 to 5.5 where possible to help your cuticle lay flat again. Products worth considering include Colorful neutral protein filler from Sallys, Komaza Care Matani spray, Komaza Care Matani leave in conditioner, any pure coconut oil from the grocery store.

Next time do patch tests (skin) and strand tests (hair) by mixing a little of the product in a small dish rather than mixing the entire tube and bottle together. Patch tests for skin are particularly important since a PPD allergy can occasionally kill.
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
Experimenting with: benign neglect

Last edited by Firefox7275; 08-25-2013 at 01:59 PM.