But if the options are to give her antidepressants or hormones, why are antidepressants OK and hormones not acceptable?

Especially if one finds that the hormones are more effective in improving an individual's mental health because they treat the root cause, not the symptoms.

As far as giving prisoners healthcare, both mental and physical, I think it is an extremely short-sighted position to say "I don't want to pay for it". Most people in prison are not lifers, what happens to them after they come out? Who is going to pay for their healthcare later if it gets out of control due to not being addressed over the course of their sentence? If someone suffers from bipolar disorder or schizophrenia, should we treat them in prison and release a relatively stable individual or shoudl we say "Nah" and let them deteriorate and then release an out-of control mentally ill person and let them fend for themselves? How about care being necessary just to maintain the health and safety of other prisoners and corrections officers? (I am not talking about gender identity now, just general mental health and the "I don't wanna pay" attitude)

I agree the real crime here is not that prisoners receive these services but that a lot of people on the outside can't. But prisoners should receive them not just because it is the humane and kind thing to do, but because it is more beneficial to society in the long term.
To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.

Last edited by geeky; 08-26-2013 at 05:44 AM.