So what then do you wash with if you don't use soap or SLS? Seems like those are the only two options... what are we supposed to wash our bodies with? Even the "sensitive soap free" stuff has SLS.
It doesn't have to be "all natural, I just prefer to avoid irritants and carcinogens and also allergin inducing things like artificial colors. I know soap is made with lye but no lye remains after saponification. Castile soap is just made with plant oils instead of animal fat like a lot of soap was made from tallow.

I have recently been more concerned about our omega 3 intake which is why Ive been trying to eat fish twice a week but I'm lucky if we get it once. Its usually salmon, rainbow trout when its available. I don't like much else. So I stared the cod liver oil capsules. And yes being a nurse I have given fish oil sometimes to patients and I cant stand the smell. Have you ever had to dissolve a fish oil gel cap in water to put in a feeding tube? Not pleasant.
Not to mention I have a hard time with the way fish smells because of my years working in the ER and having a patient come in with abdominal pain and gi upset ... what did you have for dinner? Oh never mind".. anyway I use this: NOW Foods, COD LIVER OIL 2X 2500/270 A/D 250 SGELS:Amazon:Health & Personal Care

I love tuna, does that count?
Originally Posted by Ashleynicol
I adore trout, I must buy some! Fresh tuna is a source of omega-3, canned tuna is not because it's cooked outside the can and the fats are lost. Never have that does not sound fun: the closest I got to a feeding tube was making up total parenteral nutrition in the hospital pharmacy clean room many years ago.

I never used to like or eat any fish at all, I forced myself after I got sick enough not to work, I was literally gagging the first time I opened a can of salmon! Now I will eat salmon, sardines, mackerel and trout but struggle with everything else, the more delicate ones as a fillet, the stronger ones only in a recipe.

I very rarely shampoo I conditioner only wash (cationic), but use a sulphate free cosmetic 'base' for shower gel which contains a glucoside (non ionic surfactant) and a betaine (amphoteric/ zwitterionic). I've linked to it on the other thread and I buy in bulk, it's a UK supplier but I am sure you can source similar in the US.

After the last time my mother had a rash from sulphate surfactants I persuaded her to use the identical product as shampoo. Between mother and I we have atopic eczema, allergic contact dermatitis, irritant contact dermatitis and seborrhoeic dermatitis, my father has xerosis on his hands but he won't listen. I have been all but clear perhaps two and a half years, except tiny patches on my head which are triggered by my hair dye (sulphate and silicone free but alkaline of course).
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
Experimenting with: benign neglect

Last edited by Firefox7275; 08-26-2013 at 04:30 PM.