I can't see how they are in the wrong here.

Your SO showed up with another child who, by all accounts, had fun "helping" and then after the fact, he decides he should get paid and confronts adults to ask for money. That was a good time for you to step in and explain how inappropriate that is.

If anyone should be paying him, I would think it would be your SO who "subcontracted" some of his work.
Originally Posted by CGNYC

I agree 100 percent

SO's parents didn't agree to pay your son, he showed up wanting to help and learn something, no arrangement was made for payment and maybe they cant afford to pay an additional person if they were already paying a set amount to other people. Regardless if they decided to reward or pay your stepdaughter (their granddaughter?) that is their choice.

People are teaching their kids that they should always be treated "fairly" and that's just not the way the world works. They were probably much closer to your stepdaughter since it sounds as though she is blood.. so of course she would get preferential treatment. My grandma has 30something grandkids and she told me straight up who her favorites are, and none are me, and I'm ok with that. I love my grandma and am grateful to have her but she is 86 years old and entitled to have her favorites

When my mom used to clean houses she would take me with her. I was like 7 years old, I would dust and clean windows. Sometimes the person might give me a dollar or two, but it was never expected. I was helping my mom and that's what was expected.

I don't even think your SO should pay him unless that agreement was made before he tagged along. Use this as a lesson to your son to be grateful for the experience. And maybe next time if he is asked to help with a project or work have him inquire if it will be paid time or not. As I child I was taught my payment for helping my parents with their jobs was the roof over my head and food on the table but parents don't teach their kids these values anymore.

When I was around that age, 11 or 12, I would baby sit. Started with family and usually they just said "we will pay you" and they'd give me 20 bucks or so. Around 13-14 I cleaned my uncles shop once a week and got 40 for that and it usually took me a good 4-5 gours to get it done.

I will be 29 years old this month, I have received a job offer for every job I've ever interviewed for, and I've never been fired from a job. I bought my first car with money i earned myself at the age of 16. Nothing has been handed to me, Ive worked for everything I have.

Last edited by Ashleynicol; 09-03-2013 at 11:46 PM.