I don't even think your SO should pay him unless that agreement was made before he tagged along. Use this as a lesson to your son to be grateful for the experience. And maybe next time if he is asked to help with a project or work have him inquire if it will be paid time or not. As I child I was taught my payment for helping my parents with their jobs was the roof over my head and food on the table but parents don't teach their kids these values anymore.
Originally Posted by Ashleynicol
Very well said, when it comes to experience. And sometimes you need to learn the importance of simply helping a friend or family member, with no expectations. At some point, you may need a favor yourself.

Also well said when it comes to specific values/lessons that are being neglected. These lessons have been heavily neglected in so many areas of children's lives for quite some time now, and it is causing problems in the long run. There is a great deal of proof of this.

(My phone is a mess)... I am sure it is awful to see your child hurt or upset by something, but as we all know and remember, that's going to happen. It's going to happen often, and many times it happens un intentionally or out of necessity. It's good to have an understanding of this.

Side note: When people walk into job interviews with a list of demands, ask to be paid the same or more than people who have been there 20 years because "it's fair" (to them alone) and parents then call their adult child's employer to blast them for not giving their baby what they want (happens every day)... It's beyond clear that some valuable tools for life are missing. They have been discouraged, and this is a huge dis service.

CC: I remember that one. It's a rather good lesson.
When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

Last edited by Fifi.G; 09-04-2013 at 09:32 AM.