I agree that it would be wrong if the grandparents paid the girl right in front of Violets' son, but it sounds like she didn't even get paid that day. My father always gives my kids a couple of dollars every time he see them. Maybe she's the same and this time just used her unpacking boxes as an excuse for what she would have given her anyway.

I'm sorry to say Violets but I don't think SO's parents are in the wrong. It's not right to volunteer to do something and then after the fact expect to be paid for it. Sure it would have been nice if they did throw him a few bucks, but they didn't have to. Now your son knows to always discuss this stuff up front. Lesson learned.
Originally Posted by Jenny C

That's tricky IMO bc the kids live together, like siblings.

I always wonder if I ever got remarried to a guy w/ kids how that would play out bc my mother lavishes my kids w/ all kinds of awesome gifts. And I'm not sure she would do that for a step. Not sure.
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000
I think it really depends on the grandparents. The woman my uncle marrieds, parents, are brilliant to my cousins. Granted they don't have any of their own, but they spoil the heck out of those kids, probably even more so thence grandparents do for all of us
I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
Audrey Hepburn