I think poxyfairy meant the school did them a favor because she's in a much better school now.

I don't see the point of having dress codes if a) you're not going to enforce them uniformly (last year vs. this year); b) you're not going to enforce them with staff; c) you don't have a good reason for them, especially in light of what the school is ostensibly trying to accomplish.

Paddling is not uncommon in some private schools, especially religious ones. I refused to enroll my son in an otherwise good school because they had a paddling policy. I also grew up in the era of public school corporal punishment, and believe me, we behaved, but most of us were scared sh*tless of the teachers who spanked, shook, rapped knuckles with the ruler, etc. My second grade teacher was a tyrant. If the only way you can maintain order is to terrify your students, then you shouldn't be teaching. It sounds to me like that family is well shut of that school.
Originally Posted by CurlyInTheFog
I just assumed that corporal punishment was illegal these days - just learned that it is legal for public schools in 19 states and private schools in 48.

Your second grade teacher is the exact reason why I wouldn't give that permission to a teacher or school. Reminds me of the movie/musical Matilda. You're right students should not be terrified of teachers.

This family was given the push they needed to leave that (awful IMO) school.