Originally Posted by curlyarca
I find this so interesting. According to the chart from NYT I'm in a much higher class than I ever expected or feel like I am.

I guess when I think of class I think more socially. The three indicators they use; Education, Income and Wealth, to me, are based on choices.

I grew up poor, I got a college degree because my mother had such a hard time finding a job after my father passed away in the 80's because she didn't have one. "Do what makes you happy in life, but get that piece of paper first" she would say.

I make a good salary because I chose a good job, however I work for every dollar. Working in a Utility company means 24/7 operations. I work long days, I have to be on call so many weeks per year and if there's a storm or some other natural disaster then I'm on 16hr shifts until everything is repaired. Actually when the weather is bad, that's when we're the most needed. I've been outside doing my job in the blazing heat, freezing cold, blizzards, hurricanes...you name it.

On paper I look like a high class lady, but no one will be inviting me to any black tie galas anytime soon. I'm just too blue collar for that.
Originally Posted by cailin

Occupation, education, income, and wealth aren't purely based on choices though. However, if you do think about each in a vacuum, what's interesting is class used to be based/weighted quite a bit more on wealth, specifically inherited wealth. Not so much anymore, and one argument to explain this is increased education.

I have little wealth (inherited or otherwise), and even though I'm upper middle or higher in occupation, education, and income, I still only hit around 70/75 in class overall.

It is really interesting.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.