That's really interesting, firefox. I actually have thought about it lately. The only part that I would be nervous about would be my acne wash. I have had acne prone skin my whole life, cystic acne, etc and it took a really long time and lots of doctors to find a method that keeps it under control. I tried a lot of Rx stuff, but actually found Neutrogena helps me the most. I think they might have a natural line but I am afraid to mess with my skin routine now that it is clear.

But I definitely want to start phasing to more natural makeup, body wash, etc. I didn't know there was toothpaste without those products! Where do you buy everything?
Originally Posted by SaMmIe10
Eeep your skin barrier is probably totally destroyed, you would certainly be at risk of rebound acne. Do you consistently eat an anti inflammatory nutrient dense diet and have an anti stress lifestyle? Not a cure for cystic but absolutely can help, acne is fundamentally an inflammatory condition where the skin barrier is not working effectively (keeps water in, chemicals and bacteria out).

I buy a fair bit online but you can try health food stores. I use a sulphate free shampoo/ shower gel 'base' from a cosmetics base company for body wash, hand soap and occasional clarifying hair (contains a betaine). Since it is one product I buy five litres and give some to my mother because she has dermatitis too. Toothpaste and mouthwash I use Aloe Pura which is European, the mouthwash is disgusting tho. Some find changing oral care products helps with acne or dermatitis in the perioral zone. I usually wear powder-free rubber gloves for household chores so I don't have to worry about sulphates, got clever the other day and scrubbed the sink without gloves and now have two broken nails!

If you are ever interested in trying an evidence based, gentle natural serum for acne/ rosacea/ excess sebum production/ anti ageing I'd recommend the Skinessentialactives KNN. The store owner/ formulator is a research scientist and VERY knowledgeable, ex-acne sufferer herself as are many of her customers and testers. She is active on Skincareboards.net if you ever want to pick her brains.

This makes several serums so cheaper than at first glance, links to published studies on the key actives Kinetin DIY kit, SeaKinNiaNAG serum, $38.95
If you aren't already, avoid oils rich in oleic acid - research suggests it is a penetration enhancer, irritant, comedogenic and disrupts the skin barrier.
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
Experimenting with: benign neglect

Last edited by Firefox7275; 09-17-2013 at 09:34 AM.