Here you go
Originally Posted by Korkscrew
Interesting read. It is surprising how ignorant so many Americans are of American history. Because of the one drop rule, physically white people with known African ancestry moved to places where they would be accepted as just white, a.k.a. passing. Their descendants mated with other whites, so the African ancestry gets smaller with each generation until it no longer shows up. Duh.

Some of the commenters are finding ways to rationalize that this can't be slave ancestry. Smh.

It also seems that the rural eastern US was much more lax with racial mixing. There seems to be a lot of people who culturally are African American but physically look Native American, those who identify as white but if they moved to other parts of the country would be too dark to be considered simply white. Also, the Melungeons come from this part of the country.

America's concept of race is complicated and warped, especially when people don't want to acknowledge the history behind it.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using CurlTalk App
Originally Posted by multicultcurly
Word! ... I've also found it interesting that so many people in the US are quick to "claim Native". Not just blacks, but whites too.

With more affordable DNA testing, a lot of people making those claims are finding they don't have any detectable Native ancestry. My pet theory is that a fair percentage of whites who are eager to claim Native ancestry do so because they feel it relieves them of white guilt associated with abuse of Natives and the act of stealing their land. Also, if they can say they are (in part) Native, then suddenly no fingers are pointed at them, plus they might even get positive attention from liberal friends for being an "exotic other" who has been disenfranchised. Often, I think the reason many whites don't claim African ancestry is because Africans are more of a visible presence in society and a group that stands up and rightfuly demands equality among whites, so that there's tension/feelings of polarity and competition, whereas most Natives live on the outskirts of society and frankly, are in worse economic, social and political trouble than blacks or anyone else in the US [especially re: violent crime rates (esp. homocide/suicide)], chemical dependency and lack of education). ... It's easy to romanticize a group of people who you rarely see, who you conquered and who are nearly removed from the public conscience IMO.

As for so many blacks often claiming "Native", maybe there's some internalized racism going on there for some, like saying you are something other than "just black" as a way to try and get more social acceptance. Obvious it's also more politically correct in some circles to say you are part Native rather than waxing poetic about being part white.
Originally Posted by Korkscrew
I think like Multicurly said many of those who could pass for white did so because of the advantages during the Jim Crow era. I guess some people can't handle that some of their ancestors were passing. Plus I have noticed a lot of people bashing black people on Facebook and news sites. Some people seem to thnk we all have EBT cards. The racists would have a stroke if they found out they had black blood. But to be fair there are racist blacks who are not keen on having white blood. I think why so many black Americans claim NA heritage is because they have features that suggest some type of racial mixture ie my aunt who is lily white and covered in freckles but they don't want to admit it is European. Saying you are the product of a Cherokee love affair on the plains sounds better than being the result of a slave rape on the plantation. Also claiming NA heritage wouldn't always be a helpful thing back in the day. Some people don't realize the term "colored" doesn't mean just black. It means anyone who is not white so in some places NA and black populations were lumped in together.