Hi guys, for four years (all throughout high school) I was straightening my hair and dying it. Looking at old pictures of myself made me realize how beautiful and healthy my hair really was. So, currently I have stopped straightening and dying for almost three months now. It's realllly hard because I can't leave it down curly because of how frizzy and uneven it is (strands breaking off) so I always have it up. I cut about two inches in the beginning and i cant cut much more off right now. My curl pattern was 3a. I was hoping to hear your stories if you went through the same process for motivation . Also, should I continue doing deep conditioning and protein treatments when they seem to have no effect on my hair? I tried a few brands. Thanks
Originally Posted by xocandii
Nothing repairs hair that is breaking off sadly, most 'deep' conditioners contain little to nothing that actually penetrates. Proven beneficial ingredients include coconut oil, hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol.

My lengths were badly damaged (very porous, breakage, velcro ends) from a combination of box dyes being pulled through to refresh the lengths, mechanical damage (24/7 ponytail, brushing repeatedly when wet, twirling), shampooing but only using a spray detangler not a 'true' conditioner.

Best thing I did was two chops of several inches to remove the worst of the damage even tho it was much shorter than I wanted. Trying to deal with two different hair types (only slightly damaged and very badly damaged) is a complete PITA and just leaves you frustrated because it never looks good.

Two years on I had cut out the worst of the damage, the porosity is relatively even, I have no new splits or breaks, hemline just needs to thicken up now. I mentally wrote off the first year, I knew it was just not going to look good for a while, but I had been abusing my hair for quite a few years before that.
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
Experimenting with: benign neglect