This is all too common among African-Americans, but revolves around skin color and hair type. It's always "light skin is better" and "good hair is better." I'm of mixed ancestry, and have 3b curls. Apparently, I don't "look like the typical black girl," which is a rude comment that was directed at me months ago. When I was younger, people would ask if I was mixed, and being a child who had never heard the term before, I answered "no." They would just nod, and roll their eyes, or just look at me with a smirk on their face. It affected me personally, but I learned to ignore it. As Kira stated above, people do make assumptions; most people now assume that I'm of a certain background, instead of asking me if I am. I'm African-American, Italian, French, German, British, Irish, Spanish, Asian and a mix of other races (according to my family, we're "Heinz 57"). So, when people ask now, I just keep them guessing, lol!
Curly and PROUD!!!

My hair has a mix of low/med/high porosity, and it's medium textured (some are still fine, though!)

CG since Sept. 2011
Cowash: Vo5/Suave Naturals/Tresemme Naturals*
RO/LI: GVPCB*, Tresemme Naturals*
Low-poo: Shea Moisture Moisture Retention
Stylers: KCKT*, Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Honey*

* represents my HGs!!! Finally!!!