I have not made of my mind about this chick. She says she wrote an article about how she hates being mixed because of her hair.
Originally Posted by adthomas
OK, this was so obvious I'm not sure why I overlooked it. Yes, her opening comments suggest the one part of her that looks obviously black is the one part she hates, which is insulting to blacks and to herself.

As far as "struggle" I don't think it is as neatly packaged. You don't have to be mixed to be rejected by the "black community". I identify as black but I often feel like I'm on the outskirts because I don't act, look, talk in a way some black people feel I should. I was called a "house n" recently.
I agree that different things can get a person rejected (from any community). I just think it's universally true that ppl w/mostly white phenotypes (liked that mixed chick) tend to get met w/resistance by a portion of the black community (accepted by others though). That said, there are some biracial people who reject people in the black community also w/out any provocation. It can work both ways.

I think in this day and age what people get away with has to do with who you know. Where I live the "good ole boy system" rules. People who have money and connections get away with most stuff. I have been pulled over but knock on wood only received a ticket once and that got fixed. It is a better advantage to be a minority with connections than be white, poor and know no one in authority. One of my friend's is half white and half Asian but looks more white and she never gets off without a ticket. One more and she will lose her license. But I think she argues with the cop. She doesn't know how to be "sweet", look very pitiful and apologize.
Couldn't agree more. Each case is different and circumstances can be complex. That said, w/or without connections, certain people are more likely to get away w/more things on average based on a certain phenotype and/or skin color IMO. Or that's been my observation.

I'm also willing to admit that being a minority woman is easier than being a minority male because people are less threatend. I think if you looked pretty much the same but were a guy you likely would have received a ticket. Two of my mom's brothers are light to the point of being at times mistaken for white. I don't think it gave them advantage when they were young and broke. But now having money does. Both of them are or have used their influence to get their kids out of trouble.
I think you're right, in terms of the criminal justice system, males tend to get targeted more. That said, I think minority women have their own disadvantages; I think we women in general have certain disadvantages too. In terms of light skin advantage, you make a good point: if someone isn't in a certain income bracket (or speaks with nonstop ebonics, etc.), it results in a political loss.
3b/c?

Ringlet Fandango! ... Where curly ideas roam free

* 2 blogs this week: Pictures of My (Sorta) Big Chop! AND Turn a Nightmare Product into a Dream* My Albums